Skip to main content

System Status: 

New Laboratory Setup & PI Requirements

Learn how to establish and operate your lab in compliance with UC San Diego's research safety policies and requirements.

1. Get a UC San Diego Business Systems account and e-mail

Before submitting information to Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S), make sure your UC San Diego e-mail address and Business Systems (Single Sign-On) account are activated.

Related links:

2. Submit a PI Information Form

New PIs must be entered in Environment, Health & Safety's (EH&S) database to enable certain research safety authorizations and access EH&S online applications.

Use the online PI Information Form to be entered into the EH&S database.

Or print and fax or e-mail the form (PDF)

An EH&S Research Assistance Program specialist will contact you when your form is received.

3. Complete required safety training

Several trainings are required for PIs prior to conducting research at UC San Diego.

4. Apply in advance for required authorizations

PIs must obtain authorization before beginning research involving hazardous waste, biohazardous materials, radioactive materials, controlled substances, lasers, Select Agents, human gene transfer clinical trials, human subjects, or animal subjects.

Allow for application processing time. Apply well in advance of establishing your lab. Approvals take 1 to 2 months on average.

Contact the Research Assistance Program, if you have questions.

5. Complete your PI Profile in My Research Safety

My Research Safety Web portal provides centralized and secure online access to your EH&S research authorizations, personnel lists, Hazard Control Plans, safety training and PPE records, lab audits, inventories, and Online Waste Tag Program.

All laboratory or technical locations where research is conducted, materials are stored, and equipment is used, need to be listed on My Research Safety.

Related links:

6. Complete a Laboratory Hazard Assessment for PPE

Complete a hazard assessment

Hazard assessments are required for research spaces where hazardous materials or hazardous equipment are present.

Use the Lab Hazard Assessment Tool (LHAT) to perform and document a hazard assessment of your lab area and activities. The completed LHAT provides a summary report of hazards present in the laboratory and the PPE to be used by laboratory workers in the facility.

  1. Go to My Research Safety.
  2. Select Laboratory Hazard Assessment Tool (LHAT).
  3. Click Create New Hazard Assessment to begin the process or Manage Existing Hazard Assessment to review an existing assessment.

Update your LHAT as hazards and personnel change, and at least once every 3 years, irrespective of changes to hazards or personnel.

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements

Minimum lab attire and PPE equipment required at all times for UC lab workers is full-length pants (or equivalent) and closed toe/heel shoes.

PPE Distribution Program

UC San Diego has a centrally-funded PPE Distribution Program to provide campus labs with free minimum laboratory PPE.

Lab employees must be entered on your PI's Personnel List in the Hazard Control Plan (HCP) application

to participate in the PPE Distribution Program.

Each eligible lab member receives 2 lab coats and 2 pairs of safety glasses. Plus, the PPE Distribution Program offers free lab coat laundry service.

7. Acquire animals through the Animal Care Program

UC San Diego's Animal Care Program requires information in advance about animals to be imported from other research institutions.

Advanced planning is essential to comply with UC San Diego animal health and regulatory requirements and ensure adequate space and equipment are available for incoming animals.

Most animals (especially rodents) imported into UC San Diego require a quarantine period or rederivation prior to entering a UC San Diego vivarium.

  • Contact the Animal Care Program to arrange an operational meeting to discuss your research needs before beginning a move to UC San Diego.
  • Read about the animal acquisitions process on the Animal Care Program website.
  • For assistance with animal imports and acquisitions, contact the Animal Transfer Coordinator, (858) 822-0083.

8. Equip your lab for emergencies

Your lab is responsible for planning and preparing for a variety of emergencies.

9. See purchasing restrictions for regulated research supplies

10. Learn how to report work-related injuries / exposures

Contact the Research Assistance Program specialist assigned to your area.
Note: This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: