Skip to main content

System Status: 

Temporary Employee Information for Hiring Departments

Learn about Temporary Employment Services (TES), UC San Diego's point of contact for all temporary staffing needs.


Temporary Employment Services is currently experiencing a significant increase in the volume of requests we are receiving from departments for temporary employee placements. We are processing requests in the order in which they are received, and we apologize for any delays you may experience. We are in the process of hiring additional staffing support in TES to accommodate the increased volume in requests. We look forward to working with you and we thank you for your understanding. (Updated: September 9, 2021)

UC San Diego's Temporary Employment Service (TES) provides clerical, administrative, and technical temporary employees (floaters) to UC San Diego departments during interim periods such as recruiting, vacations, medical absences, and special projects.

Temporary employees (floaters) have completed a thorough screening process, including reference checks, computer skills assessments, and interviews with placement coordinators. TES also works with departments to fill specialized skill requests.

Requesting a Temporary Employee

TES is now accepting all requests online at  This is the new and preferred method for receiving temporary requests.

Departments from UC San Diego Health must obtain approval before TES can move forward with any request.

  • Health Sciences VC Area: Any new, replacement, or temporary non-faculty academic, and staff, positions must be submitted to the Position Review Committee (PRC) for review and approval before proceeding with filling a position. In order to submit your request to the PRC, please complete a Hire Staff Form (login required).  You will receive PRC approval via email and will be required to provide that documentation to TES when requesting to fill a position.

    How to complete a Position Justification Form 

    If you have any questions regarding this process, contact the PRC Office at 619-543-2206.

  • Medical Center VC Area: All temporary positions with Medical Center (UCSD Health) departments must be reviewed and approved by Finance, Director, and CAO/Exec. RAC Coordinators. Before submitting a request be sure to obtain department head approval for a temporary employee.

    Once approved, email the Temporary Employee Request form to and CC your department head.

Requesting a temp from an external service

In the event that TES cannot fill your request, other agencies may be utilized to provide staffing assistance. To arrange staffing assistance through an outside vendor, please contact Procurement and Contracts.

Managing hours for temporary employees

Use the TES Online Pay System (TOPS) instead of MyTime for temporary employees. Tutorials are available for both employees and supervisors.

For additional information, contact TES at (858) 534-4604.
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) and local implementing procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.