Skip to main content

System Status: 

When You Leave UC San Diego: Employee Checklist

Use this checklist to determine what steps to take when you separate from UC San Diego.

If you are subject to a layoff or reduction in time, see Layoff/ Reduction in Time: Overview (Employees). If you are retiring, see When You Retire From UCSD: Employee Checklist.

Inform your supervisor that you're leaving UC San Diego.

  • Provide your supervisor with a written letter of resignation, including the effective date of your resignation.
  • Discuss with your supervisor:
    • Tasks that need to be reassigned
    • Recommendations you have for a replacement
    • Willingness to train replacement
    • Disposition of e-mail and network files

Find out about any benefits you may be entitled to.

Return any UC property to your department business office.

  • UC cards:
    • Campus ID card
    • Calling card
    • Compass card (transit pass)
    • Department copy cards
    • UCSD Travel Card
    • Express Card
    • Long-distance authorization card
    • Parking garage/ building access card
    • UCSD keys, key cards
  • Computer and communications equipment:
    • Cell phones
    • Laptops
    • Pagers
    • Radios, walkie-talkies
  • Equipment on loan to you:
    • Check with your department's property administrator to see if any equipment is signed out to you.

Note: You may wish to request a receipt from the department for returned items.

Be sure you complete these tasks before your last day of work.

  • Delete or transfer your e-mail and computer files as instructed by your supervisor.
  • Cancel your parking permit.
  • Complete Transit Cancellation Form (PDF) or Vanpool Cancellation Form (PDF)
  • Advise your department if there are any pending travel reconciliations or payment authorization reimbursements.
  • Reset your voice mail password to the 5-digit extension number. Check with your supervisor about setting up a forwarding message.

Keep your permanent address current with UC.

Update your address to receive mailings from UC such as your W-2 by doing one of the following:


Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) and local implementing procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.