Skip to main content

System Status: 

When an Employee Separates from UCSD: Department Checklist

HR Contacts and Supervisors, use this checklist to determine the steps to take when an employee submits a notice of separation.

For information about employee termination, contact your employee relations and labor relations specialists.

Supervisor - Check with your department's HR contact.

Discuss the following:

  • Why is the employee leaving?
  • How will you fill the vacancy?
  • Will the employee train a replacement?

HR Contact - Process the separation through UCPath Online.

Access the UCPath Online to:

  • Submit a voluntary termination template transaction:
    • Enter the Effective Date; this should be the first day the employee has the status of terminated (not the last day worked).
    • Click the Reason Code drop-down menu; select the applicable reason for termination.
    • Verify the Last Day Worked. The Last Day worked should always be earlier than the Effective Date and is the employee’s last day on pay status.  For employees terminating while on a leave of absence, the Last Day Worked should be the last day working prior to the start of the leave.
  • Request Final Pay Request. Final Pay must be requested for:
    • Represented employees if off-cycle final pay processing is part of their contract.
    • Involuntarily terminated employees because it must be processed off-cycle.
    • Employees with accruals to be paid out (final way will be on-cycle).
    • Employees who are unable to report all hours worked and leave used in Time and Attendance (final pay will be on-cycle).

HR Contact - Complete all necessary forms.

  • Request an Exit Survey.
    • Verify with the employee the preferred email address to receive the invitation. 
    • Submit a request.
      • To submit the request, you must be logged into G Suite using your email. You will not be able to access the form using your personal Google account.  
      • Not sure how to access G Suite? See 
  • UCPath center is now handling all Unemployment Insurance Claims.
    • If HR Contacts or employees have questions, please submit an inquiry to:
      • UCPath portal by logging in and submitting a question by clicking on the “Ask UCPath Center” button.
      • Or, you can contact UCPath Center at 855-982-7284 and request to speak with the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Team.
  • If the UI Team does not have enough information to process a claim they will notify Employee Relations, who will contact the HR Contact via email to obtain the needed information.
  • For more information regarding the Unemployment Insurance Claims process, please refer to the UI Roles and Responsibilities (PDF) 
  • State Unemployment Office, Employment Development Department (EDD) information:
  • Signature Authorization or Cancellation FO2091 (Excel) (PDF): Send the completed form to Disbursements, Mail Code 0955.
  • COBRA forms and information:
    • Inform the employee that after the separation date has been entered into the UCPath system, WEX (formerly Discovery Benefits) will mail the appropriate COBRA information close to the date benefits end. COBRA rates can be viewed online (PDF).
    • Contact WEX/Discovery Benefits about COBRA at 844-561-1338 or
    • Contact Human Resources at (858) 534-2816 if you need further assistance.
  • Parking Cancellation and Refund form (PDF) (Employee must complete and take to the Parking Office, along with the parking placard.) or via the current method of cancellation which is to email In the subject of the email, write “Cancel My Deduction,” attach a photo of your parking permit cut in half, and request to have your parking deductions canceled.
  • Update your Address if needed by going to UCPath Online.
  • Pending travel advances or vouchers, or authorized reimbursements.
  • International Scholar Departure Form for any employee on H-1B, J-1, or O-1 status.
  • UBEN 142 Distribution Request Form (PDF) - Refund of Accumulations University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP): If you are vested (minimum of 5 years of service credit) and request a refund of your UCRP accumulations, you will waive your rights to all future UCRP retirement benefits.

  • If your employee participated in the UC Retirement Savings Program (DCP, 403(b), 457(b)) Plans, inform your employee to contact Fidelity Retirement Services at 1-866-682-7787 to discuss options for their account. The retirement account(s) must each have and maintain a minimum of $2000 to keep the account(s) active at Fidelity.

Note: Submit forms in a timely manner to ensure continuation of coverage. For assistance, contact your HR benefits representative.

HR Contact and Supervisor - Determine how to reuse or dispose of the employee's electronic files and communications.

Discuss with the employee:

  • Email:
    • Which email messages should be transferred or deleted?
    • Is an email absence message required to:
      • Indicate the employee has left the department?
      • Redirect inquiries to the appropriate department contact?
    • Is setting up temporary network access to obtain copies of personal communications necessary?
  • Voice mail:
    • Reset password to the five-digit extension number.
    • Determine if a forwarding message is necessary.
  • Electronic files:
    • Determine which files should be transferred or deleted.
    • Provide the employee with an alternate area to transfer necessary files.
    • Instruct the employee to delete files.

See PPM 135-5, Section V. Access Restrictions, Separation from UCSD, for further guidance.

HR Contact - Terminate the employee's access to UC electronic resources.

After you have transferred or deleted the email and network files:

  • Notify your departmental security administrator (DSA) to terminate access to any of the following:
    • Link family
    • Web IFIS
    • IFIS
    • ISIS
    • Data Warehouse
  • Notify your department's network administrator to terminate the employee's computer login to:
    • Local servers
    • Department dial-in service
    • Email service
    • Other local network operations and charges

HR Contact - Terminate all other UCSD services.

Cancel or transfer access to the following, where applicable:

HR Contact and Supervisor - Make sure the employee returns any UC property.

  • Verify that the employee returns these items:
    • Cell phones
    • Computers
    • Pagers
    • Radios
  • Confirm receipt of:
    • Calling cards on all indexes
    • Copy cards
    • Diners Club card
    • Express Card
    • UCSD ID card
    • Keys or key cards
    • Parking garage access cards
  • Check with your department's property administrator to ensure that the employee returned all UC equipment.

HR Contact - Update contact information.

Remove the employee's name from the following areas, where applicable:
  • Emergency contact list
  • Internal forms
  • Office security codes, access codes on keypads
  • Security alarm lists
  • Web pages and directories
  • Faculty/ staff directory


Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) and local implementing procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.