Skip to main content

System Status: 

Cash Advances for Business Travel

Learn how employees can use the UC San Diego Travel & Entertainment Card for cash, and read guidelines for requesting a cash advance for employees and non-employees.

Cash advances issued by UC San Diego Travel are limited to exceptional situations, especially for employees who are to use the Travel & Entertainment Card to access cash during authorized trips.

  • If a cash advance has been issued by Travel, it must be substantiated before making a new request.
  • All cash advances must be expensed within 21 days after travel concludes.
  • A cash advance may not be requested as a means to reimburse a traveler for out-of-pocket expenses prior to trip completion and before completing the expense report.
  • Unsubstantiated cash advances are treated as taxable to the traveler.

See below for instructions on how to request a cash advance for employees. The last section on this page details the cash advance process for non-employees.

1. Determine the circumstances of travel.

  • Proceed to step 2 if travel is standard, and use your Travel & Entertainment Card to withdraw cash at an ATM.
  • Proceed to step 3 if one of the special circumstances applies.
    • Travel to a remote location: Request a cash advance from UC San Diego Travel if you are bound for a remote location where there may not be an ATM and the cash advance needs exceed the Travel & Entertainment Card limits.
    • New employee: Request a one-time cash advance for university business travel if you are leaving before your Travel & Entertainment Card application can be processed.

2. Obtain cash using the Travel & Entertainment Card.

  • Use your Travel & Entertainment Card, following the guidelines, to withdraw cash. You will use a personal identification number (PIN) for ATM transactions. A PIN is provided to each cardholder when the Travel & Entertainment Card is issued. For assistance, contact Travel & Entertainment Card customer service.
    • Travel & Entertainment Card cash limits:  If circumstances warrant an increase to the limit, provide a detailed explanation to the Travel & Entertainment Card Program Manager.
    • Travel & Entertainment Card withdrawal fees: A 2.5% transaction fee (minimum $2, maximum $10) applies to each ATM transaction. Request reimbursement for the fee when you complete an expense report in Concur after completing your trip.

3. Request a cash advance from UC San Diego Travel.

  • For more information on how to request a Cash Advance, please reference our Knowledge Base Article on Cash Advances.

4. Cash Advances for Non-Employees

1. Review information regarding eligibility, amount, timing, and cancellation

  • Foreign travelers: Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) guidelines can restrict payments to foreign visitors, depending on the traveler's visa type. Review the reimbursement requirements for foreign visitors to see if the traveler is eligible for a cash advance, or contact Travel prior to hosting the visitor.
  • Appropriate amount: A cash advance is generally for meals, incidental expenses, and ground transportation. The requested amount must be appropriate for the nature and duration of the travel.
  • Timing:  Cash advances are not issued to the traveler more than 2 weeks before a travel event commences.  If an advance is issued as a direct deposit into the traveler's personal bank account, the bank may take up to 72 hours to process the deposit.
  • Cancellation: If a travel event is canceled or indefinitely postponed, the cash advance must be returned immediately to Travel. The traveler can return the issued check or write a check to UC Regents for the amount of the advance.

2. Determine the traveler's citizenship

  • If the traveler is a U.S. citizen, proceed to step 3. If the traveler is from a foreign country, determine the traveler's visa status. If the traveler has a B-2 visa or a WT classification, have the traveler complete the Certification of Academic Activity form (PDF).

3. Request a Cash Advance

  • For more information on how to request a Cash Advance, please reference our Knowledge Base Article on Cash Advances.
Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.
Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).