Skip to main content

System Status: 

Paying for Conference Registration or Hotel Deposit

Use this step-by-step guide to pay for an out-of-town conference registration or a hotel deposit for University business travel.

1. Determine payment method.

Choose from the following:
  • UC San Diego Travel & Entertainment Card:  Conference registration fees, hotel deposits, and required prepayments should be paid using the traveler's UC San Diego Travel & Entertainment Card.
  • Out of Pocket Expenses: (e.g., personal credit card)
  • Request check
    • Employee travelers should use their Travel & Entertainment Card expenses are easiest to track and reconcile.
    • Non-employee travelers or when Travel & Entertainment Card is not an option, use Concur or foreign wire, depending on the destination (e.g., domestic or foreign)
  • UC San Diego Procurement Card:  Use your Procurement Card to prepay conference registration only under these certain constraints.:
    • When no additional travel expenses will be incurred (i.e., parking, mileage, meals, etc.); or
    • When the attendee is a non-UCSD employee or a student (Non-employee)
    • Accepts credit card as the only payments method and is due within less than 3 weeks.

*Using your Procurement Card to pay for conference registration when Travel expenses are incurred is a violation of policy.

2. Create a Travel Request.

Create a Travel Request in Concur. For more guidance on this process, please reference this Knowledge Base Article.

Note: Creating a Travel Request is required for preauthorization, regardless of the method of payment or how expenses are reported. Mileage only expenses do not require a Travel Request.

3. Reserve lodging and/ or register for the conference.

Follow the appropriate instructions for the payment method:
  • UC San Diego Travel & Entertainment Card:
    • Provide the card number and ask for a confirmation number.
      Note: Travel merchants sometimes use non-travel merchant codes. If your transaction is declined, submit a case via Services & Support. Requests can take up to 24 business hours.
    • All Travel & Entertainment Card Charges are centrally billed and paid for by the University and uploaded to Concur Travel. Please reference this Knowledge Base Article to learn more about how to reconcile Travel & Entertainment Card transactions.
  • Personal credit card:
    • Provide the card number and ask for a confirmation number.
    • You must complete the trip before requesting reimbursement.
  • UC San Diego Procurement Card (for registration only):
    • If the circumstances defined in step 1 apply, provide the card number and ask for a confirmation number.
      Note: Additional information about the Procurement Card, including processing information, can be found on the overview page.
Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.

Note: This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember:

Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).