Skip to main content

System Status: 

How to Report Theft, Loss, or Damage to Property

Learn how to file for insurance reimbursement when department-own property is stolen, lost, damaged or destroyed.

1. Report crime to UC San Diego Police immediately.

  • Call UC San Diego Police, (858) 534-4357, to report theft, vandalism, or other crimes.
  • Write down the police report number for the crime. You will need to submit it with your insurance claim.
  • Keep any evidence (such as broken glass, broken locks, or record of an activated alarm) if the crime occurred because of forced entry.

2. Notify Risk Management immediately.

Call EH&S Risk Management, (858) 534-2454, to report the incident and initiate the claim process.

  • Have the police report number ready if a crime was involved.
  • Submit a Property Claim notification form.
  • Risk Management will send you additional paperwork that you must complete and return along with supporting evidence.


Call the university's third-party administrator directly at 1-800-416-4029 to report a claim.

3. Determine what's covered by insurance.

  • Read Basic Property Insurance to determine what items and costs are covered.
  • Keep track of covered costs that are incurred after the incident, including overtime pay or storage fees.

4. Write an incident report if no criminal activity is involved.

Write a simple statement describing how the loss or damage occurred if items were damaged or lost because of reasons other than criminal activity. (No special form is required — a handwritten statement or printed Word document is acceptable.)

Try to answer these questions, if relevant:

  • What happened?
  • Where did it happen?
  • When did it happen?
  • How did it happen?

5. Prove damaged items are University property.

Prove damaged items are university property, or in the care, custody, or control of the university.

  • Obtain the following paperwork:
    • Original purchase orders
    • Inventory listings
    • Loan agreement
  • Write a statement concerning the effort to locate purchase orders or inventory listings that can't be found.

6. Repair or replace damaged items.

  • Repair the item:
    • Obtain a repair quote from a vendor.
    • Have the item repaired.
      Note: Contact Risk Management, (858) 534-2454, before authorizing the repair if repairing will cost more than a new item.
    • Have the item repaired.
  • Follow these steps if an item can't be repaired:
    • Request a letter from the outside vendor verifying the property is too damaged to be repaired.
      Note: Only items that cannot be repaired will be replaced.
    • Replace the item with equivalent property. If the replacement is of better quality, the department must pay the difference.
  • If property is not replaced or repaired, the department will receive the item's actual cash value. Risk Management determines values and adjusts for depreciation.
  • Note the following costs:
    • Departments are responsible for a deductible. Some deductibles are listed below; contact Risk Management for other situations:
      • Sudden and accidental discharge of water: $5,000 per occurrence (losses over $50,000 are funded at only 90%)
      • Accidental damage, vandalism, or forced-entry theft: $1,000 per occurrence
      • Nonforced-entry theft: $5,000 per occurrence
      • Domestic transit (claims under $100,000): $250 per occurrence
    • The deductible can be split with other departments affected by the loss.

7. Submit claim forms by the required deadline.

  • Gather all paperwork from the claims adjuster and send to Risk Management within 45 days from claim initiation:
    • Mail Code: 0925
    • Fax: (858) 534-5202
  • Contact Risk Management to request an extension if you can't meet the 45-day deadline.
  • Expect claim processing to take a few months because of the following factors:
    • Several departments are usually involved; final costs and paperwork from all parties must be submitted to Risk Management before the claim can be processed.
    • After review by Risk Management, the claim is sent to Office of the President — Risk Management for review within 30 days. If approved, funding occurs within 2 months.

8. Get approval before disposing of damaged property.

For more information, contact EH&S Risk Management, (858) 534-2454.
When a loss occurs, notify Risk Management, (858) 534-2454, immediately to promptly initiate the insurance investigation and claims process.