Skip to main content

System Status: 

Insurance: Basic Property Coverage

Read about items and events covered by the university's basic property insurance and how to submit a claim for damage or loss.

All UC San Diego departments automatically have basic property insurance for theft, loss, or property damage.

What's covered

Items qualify for coverage if they are:

  • Owned by the university (items are covered worldwide)
  • Valued, minus depreciation, at more than the deductible
  • Damaged or lost due to a limited list of situations, including:
    • Fire
    • Windstorm
    • Hail
    • Explosions
    • Riots
    • Vandalism
    • Certain kinds of theft
    • Certain kinds of water damage


Departments are responsible for paying deductibles, as follows:

  • Theft:
    • Forced entry: $1,000 per occurrence
    • Non-forced entry: $5,000 per occurrence
  • Fire or flood damage: $5,000 per occurrence
  • Domestic transit (claims under $100,000): $250 per occurrence
  • Other situations (including accidents, vandalism, etc.): $1,000 per occurrence

Incidental coverage

Some costs incurred after an incident may also be covered, including the following:

  • Demolition costs
  • Overtime pay
  • Storage costs

What's not covered

These items and costs are not covered:

  • Employees' personal property
  • Research material
  • Moving costs
  • Regular payroll
  • Repairs to the source of damage

Guidelines and restrictions

Note the following guidelines and restrictions:

  • Damaged equipment must be repaired, if possible.
  • If the item can't be repaired, you must submit verification from an outside vendor with your claim.
  • Items that are lost or can't be repaired will be replaced only with items of like kind and quality.
  • If an item can't be repaired or replaced, the department will receive the item's actual cash value (as determined by Risk Managment).

How to file claims

Notify Risk Management, (858) 534-2454, as soon as possible. Step-by-step instructions for the claim process:

Loss prevention

Related policy

For additional details and exclusions, see BUS-81 (PDF) Insurance Programs, the official document for property self-insurance.

For more information, contact Risk Management, (858) 534-2454.
When a loss occurs, notify Risk Management, (858) 534-2454, immediately to promptly initiate the insurance investigation and claims process.