Skip to main content

System Status: 

Sanctioned Country Travel License Review Requirement

Learn about the required sanctioned country travel license review by the Export Control Office and how it can effect travel to these countries.

Before making arrangements for air travel for UC San Diego business or unrelated UC San Diego business, but where UC San Diego equipment or material is to be exported, contact the UC San Diego Export Control Office as soon as possible for sanction country license reviews for Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria and Sudan.

  • Travel to, collaborations with, payments, and imports and exports to certain sanctioned countries require export licenses from the U.S. Government. 
  • Travel to a sanctioned country unrelated to UC San Diego business, but where UC San Diego equipment or material is exported, may still require an export license.
  • Presentations at a conference (even of already published material) in sanctioned countries may require an OFAC license.

Ensure that your UC San Diego travel to sanctioned countries is pre-authorized by submitting your travel request in advance.

The Export Control Office is responsible for assisting in the preparation of all export license applications and filing licenses with the U.S. Government. The Export Control Office will advise if a general license is permissible and if the general license may be used immediately. If your situation does not meet the terms and conditions of a general license, specific export licensing with OFAC can take a few months to a year to obtain as sanction country licensing has interagency license reviews. If equipment and technology exports are part of the transaction, other government agencies such as the Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) may also require an export license.

For export license reviews regarding sanctioned countries, contact or Michael Miller, (858) 534-4175,

For additional information on OFAC comprehensive and other sanctioned countries as well as recent executive orders and regulation changes, see the OFAC website. A short video on OFAC requirements is also available on UC Learning.

For information on immigration and visa issues associated with citizens of sanctioned countries, please contact the UC San Diego International Center.

Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.
Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).