Skip to main content

System Status: 

Rental Car: Claiming Damage

When you rent a car, you must return the car to the agency in the same condition as it was received, with the exception of normal wear and tear on the vehicle or loss or damage caused by acts of nature. Should any other loss or damage occur, follow the guidelines below to file a claim.

Filing a claim when renting through UC San Diego:

  • Cars rented through UC agreements: When you rent a car through an agency with a UC agreement, the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is included in the rental rate. If damage occurs, file a claim directly with the rental agency and identify the rental as having been acquired through the UC agreement.
  • Cars rented using the Travel & Entertainment Card: If you use the Travel & Entertainment Card to rent a car in the continental United States, primary, full-value collision damage insurance covers collision, loss, damage, fire, vandalism, and theft. For more information about filing a claim, see the claim instructions.

Filing a claim when renting under personal coverage:

  • Cars rented using a personal credit card: Some credit cards provide coverage for damage to rental vehicles. Check the terms and benefits of your personal credit card for more information.
  • Personal automobile insurance: Some auto insurance policies cover rental car losses. Contact your agent or review your policy to see if you have this coverage.

Additional resource

Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.
Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).