Skip to main content

System Status: 

Using a Private Automobile: Insurance Requirements

Make sure you have sufficient insurance coverage before you use your personal vehicle on UC San Diego business.

University insurance programs do not provide coverage for damage or loss to personal vehicles.

Employees must provide insurance coverage on their vehicles when used for UC San Diego business.

Minimum liability coverage requirements: If you use a private automobile on UC San Diego business, you must provide personal insurance that meets the University of California's minimum liability coverage:

  • $50,000 for personal injury to or death of one person
  • $100,000 for injury to or death of two or more persons in one accident
  • $50,000 for property damage

If your private automobile is damaged when you are using it to conduct UC San Diego business, contact your own automobile insurance company to find out your coverage, make claims, and arrange for repairs.

Terms of reimbursement for damage: Some campus departments may reimburse up to $500 for repairing the vehicle or for the amount of the deductible (co-insurance), whichever is less. Ask your department's business officer if this option is available before you use your personal vehicle for university business.

  • Note: Expenses that can be recovered from the employee's insurance agency are not eligible for reimbursement.

Additional guidance: Review the UC San Diego Risk Management guidelines for personal vehicle use for UC San Diego business.

Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.
Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).