Skip to main content

System Status: 

Rental Car Insurance Coverage

Find out about rental car insurance coverage included in UC agreements or for employees through the UC San Diego Travel & Entertainment Card program.

The University of California has a systemwide car rental program with Enterprise/National and Hertz. It offers UC business travelers the best value, most economical pricing and includes insurance coverage.

See how to arrange car rental with:

  • Agencies using UC agreements:
  • Agencies not using UC agreements:
    • Use the Travel & Entertainment Card. Full-value coverage is provided for collision, loss, damage, fire, vandalism and theft at no extra charge. If you rent a car, liability insurance won't be included. Instead, your personal insurance is primary and ineligible for reimbursement.

Agreements generally include:

  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): CDW is included in the rate at no additional cost. Decline CDW, if offered by the agency.
  • Liability insurance: Decline liability insurance, if offered by the agency. Liability insurance limits are:
    • $100,000 per person
    • $300,000 per accident
    • $25,000 for property
  • In the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii): CDW and liability insurance are provided.
  • Outside the U.S.: CDW is generally included. Additional coverage may be included, for details send an inquiry to Service and Support (login required).

Agreements do not include:

  • Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI): Typically you do not need SLI; however, you may decide to purchase SLI if renting for a large group or high-risk activity.
  • 100/ 300/ 25 liability insurance if outside the U.S.

Note: Reimbursement for rental car insurance is only available under special circumstances because coverage is included in the UC agreements.


The situations below are exceptions in which you may be reimbursed for rental car coverage:

  • When the rental is outside the U.S. In addition, it is recommended that employees purchase supplemental insurance.
  • When the rental is in an area where none of the rental agencies have a UC agreement
  • When the rental agreement contains special provisions excluding coverage for the required vehicle type
    Note: Immigration Naturalization Service (INS) policy restricts payments to some foreign visitors, including payments for rental cars. See reimbursement requirements for foreign visitors.

If you're eligible for reimbursement as an exception:

  • Include the expenses for coverage in Concur.
  • Indicate the appropriate circumstance for claiming reimbursement in the Additional Information section of the Expense in Concur.
  • Provide the itemized rental car receipt to the approver before submitting to UC San Diego Travel.
Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.
Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).