Skip to main content

System Status: 

Registration Guide for New Animal Researchers

Follow these instructions to register for animal research.

Obtain a Single Sign On Account (SSO)

SSO is the campus wide identity authentication mechanism to maintain secure web sites. You must first establish an SSO account in order to access the Animal Use Protocol System. SSO is maintained by UC San Diego IT Services. Contact the ITS Service Desk directly at or (858) 246-4357. Do not contact the IACUC office as they have no control over SSO.


You will find detailed information regarding SSO. You will find "How to Self- Register" and "Reset Your Password" links available on the left navigation column.


If you are an active UCSD student, you already have an SSO account in place.


If you are an affiliate (non UCSD-paid post-doctoral scholar, non UCSD student, inactive UCSD employee or student, volunteer, visiting scholar, industrial partner, or are otherwise employed by one of the academic affiliates, such as HHMI, LICR, VASDHS, VMRF), who needs access to the system, you will not be able to self register for a SSO account. You must contact the Departmental Security Administrator (DSA) in your sponsoring or PI’s department to assist you in obtaining an SSO account. You can retrieve a list of your DSAs by email or by department.

How do I know if I have an SSO account?

Try to log into AUPS (at click on Log In). If you are unable to log in to SSO, then proceed with resetting your SSO password. If you are unsuccessful with those two steps, then you need to obtain a SSO account.

I don't remember my SSO password. How do I retrieve it?

There is no mechanism in place for you to retrieve your password. If you are an active UCSD employee, you would need to reset your password. If you are an affiliate, please contact your sponsoring department's Departmental Security Administrator (DSA) to have your password reset.

Who do I contact if I run into problems with SSO?

If you know your SSO account username and password but are still having difficulties, you must contact the ITS Service Desk. The IACUC/AWP staff are unable to help with SSO problems.

Log in to the IACUC Animal Use Protocol System (AUPS)

Go to

Click on "Log In" on the left.

Fill out the brief questionnaire and click on the submit button.

You will receive an email confirmation of your registration.

Complete your Personnel Qualifications Form (PQ) online

Go to and log in using your Single Sign On login information.

After log-in, there is a menu of choices. Under 'Other Tasks', click on 'Add or edit my Personnel Qualification (PQ) Form,'

  I.    Edit your personal information

Complete any missing or incorrect personal information.

  II.   Education and Training-

Complete any pertinent education and training relating to your position at UCSD. 'Courses at UCSD' include all classes given by the Animal Care Program (ACP) and will be automatically added once you’ve attended the class.

  III.  Occupational Health

If you have direct or indirect animal contact, you must be aware of potential risk factors involved in research animal exposure. Please carefully read all of the information at 'UCSD Occupational Health Policy'. Forms A and B must be completed and submitted. Form A is to be completed by the Principal Investigator, supervisor, or lab manager via electronic submission to UCSD Center for Occupational and Environmental Medicine (COEM). Once COEM receives the A Form, researchers will be contacted via MyChart to complete the B form. All forms will be kept confidential. Vivarium access can be denied or revoked until the UCSD Center for Occupational & Environmental Medicine (COEM) has medically cleared you to work in a vivarium environment.

  IV. Skills and Experience

Select the species with which you will be working, then complete the check boxes related to your experience or training.  If you will be trained, be sure to include the name of the person who will be training you.

Click on 'Add New Species' to add additional species if needed.

Once you have added all applicable species, click on the box that states, 'I certify that I am qualified to perform the procedures listed above, or if not currently qualified, I will assure that I get the proper training and become competent in the procedures.'

Once you have completed the form, be sure to press the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the form.

Ask your PI or Lab Manager to add you to a protocol

Your PI or lab manager will need to add you to his/her protocol by following these instructions:

  1. Go to the IACUC web site
  2. On the Investigator Menu, look for the section ANIMAL USE PROTOCOL APPLICATION
  3. Select  Add/Edit Personnel on Protocol #         
  4. Type in the protocol number where you wish to add the new personnel
  5. Fill out the online form and submit.

Please note that database updates ONLY take place at night, so please wait until the next day if your PI or lab manager cannot locate your name.

Register for Orientation to Animal Research at UCSD (and other classes) through the Animal Care Program

  1. You must have access to the IACUC Animal Use Protocol System AND your Principal Investigator (PI) must add you to his/her protocol before you can register for Orientation or other classes.
  2. Register online using your SSO login.

Obtain vivarium access

  1. All persons entering UCSD Vivaria must be approved for entry by ACP.
  2. Persons working on research (other than casual observation) within any vivarium must meet the following requirements:
  3. Complete the online facility access request form.
  4. The ACP Business Office is open Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for your scans and photo. Have your UCSD Campus ID with you to present.
  5. Please direct any questions regarding facility access including questions about your Access Card to the Animal Care Program using this email:
  6. Once facility access is granted, you must use the electronic/biometric mechanism for entry into the facility and wear an ACP identification badge with an up to date sticker while in the facility.
Contact the IACUC office, (858) 534-6069.