Skip to main content

System Status: 

How to Loan Inventorial Equipment

Follow these steps to complete the proper documentation when you loan inventorial equipment to another department, person, or outside agency.

Inventorial Equipment has a total acquisition cost of $5,000 or more, and must be tracked in CAMS (Campus Asset Management System). Inventorial equipment funded by a government entity requires contract considerations for inventory control. For a complete listing of definitions for all items the University is required to track, please see the BFB-BUS-29: Management and Control of University Equipment and the property terms of each applicable award.

When you loan inventorial equipment, custody of the equipment stays with your department. If you want custody to change to the receiving department, see How to Transfer Equipment.

1. Determine who has title to the inventorial equipment.

  • Check the tags on the inventorial equipment if possible.
    • If you see 2 equipment tags (UCID and government) the equipment may NOT be loaned. Contact Equipment Management, (858) 534-2847, for instructions on how to proceed.
    • If you see only 1 tag (UCID), go to step 2.
  • or
  • Check CAMS.
    • If CAMS has an F in the Title Indicator section, the equipment belongs to the federal government and may NOT be loaned. Contact Equipment Management at (858) 534-2847 for instructions on how to proceed.
    • If CAMS has a U in the Title Indicator field, the equipment belongs to the University. Go to step 2.

2. Complete the loan information in CAMS.

If you are loaning equipment to a non-university, non-government agency or to another university department on the same campus, complete the information on the Asset Detail screen.

  • Go to CAMS.
  • Find the asset that you will loan.
  • Fill out the loan section.
  • Save the asset and click Request Loan Reason.
  • Submit the change order.
  • The CAMS administrator will review and approve the request
Note: If there are any contracts between UCSD and the other agency or UC campus, attach it to the Asset Detail record.

3. Confirm that the loan has been recorded.

Check CAMS to see that the equipment's record has been updated.
Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal or call the Finance Help Line at (858) 246-4237.