Skip to main content

System Status: 

Ways to Dispose of Inventorial Equipment

Find out how you should dispose of inventorial equipment and other property in your department.

Guidelines for disposal of inventorial equipment

Step 1: Review the procedures for disposal of University owned property.

Step 2: Contact the Equipment Management Office if the equipment if Federally Titled. We must request release of title prior to disposing of equipment owned by the government.

Step 3: Dispose of excess equipment directly from CAMS using the Transfers tab to send items to Surplus Sales, or the Disposals tab for direct disposals as appropriate.

Feel free to reach out the Equipment Management Office if you have any questions regarding disposals.

All disposals for inventorial equipment should be processed through the CAMS system in order to properly manage inventory, especially federally funded equipment. If the equipment was acquired on a contract or grant please review the contract terms and conditions of the award. It is a myth that all grant funded equipment is University owned.

Departments are not allowed to donate excess equipment to any outside entity, including educational institutions, government bodies, or nonprofit organizations, as a method of disposal. Please use Surplus Sales for your property and equipment disposals, and use CAMS to request a surplus pick-up.

In most cases, excess property is transferred to Surplus Sales for disposal. Department can directly dispose of inventorial equipment using CAMS if one of the following circumstances occur:

  • Lost or stolen: Police report is required.
  • Destroyed/cannibalized
  • Trade-in: Purchase Order number is required.
  • Inter-Campus transfer: Confirmation from the other UC is required.
  • Miscellaneous: Letter from Department Chair authorizing the disposal is required. These disposals are usually undocumented, after-the-fact disposals, or PI transfers to an agency outside the UC system.

Ways to dispose of equipment

The links below provide instructions on ways to dispose of equipment and remove the record using CAMS.

  • Send to Surplus Sales

    UCSD Surplus Sales serves as a means to liquidate/ dispose of excess University property by holding public sales and interdepartmental recharge sales.
  • Transfer or loan

    You may Transfer or loan excess equipment to another UCSD department or UC campus.
  • Trade-in

    You may trade-in equipment on a new purchase and you should reference the UCID number being trading on the PO.
  • Destroyed or Cannibalize

    This may require more proof of incident. Submit the Disposal in CAMS and our office with contract you if we have any questions.
  • Lost or stolen

    Equipment may be considered disposed of it is lost or stolen.

Please contact Equipment Management, for instructions or training on how to dispose of equipment.

Research equipment

Before disposing of research equipment and furniture, or any equipment possibly contaminated with hazardous material, see How to Get a Decontamination Clearance for Equipment or Facilities.

Note: Sale of equipment through any means other than Surplus Sales is prohibited.

Vehicles: All vehicle disposals must be processed through Fleet Services.


The following policies govern UCSD's management of equipment:

For details on inventorial and non-inventorial equipment, see Equipment Management Basics.

Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal or call the Finance Help Line at (858) 246-4237.