Skip to main content

System Status: 

How to Report Lost or Stolen Inventorial Equipment

Follow the steps on this page to report inventorial equipment that has been lost or stolen.

Inventorial Equipment has a total acquisition cost of $5,000 or more, and must be tracked in CAMS (Campus Asset Management System). Inventorial equipment funded by a government entity requires contract considerations for inventory control. For a complete listing of definitions for all items the University is required to track, please see the BFB-BUS-29: Management and Control of University Equipment and the property terms of each applicable award. Read the Business and Financial Bulletin 38 for Disposal methods.

1. Determine who has title to the inventorial equipment.

  • Check the tags on the inventorial equipment if possible.
    1. Examine the equipment tags (UCID and government). If the tag(s) identify the equipment as Gov't Property contact Equipment Management via Support & Services for instructions on how to proceed.
    2. If the equipment is University property go to step 2.
  • Check CAMS.
    1. If the asset record in CAMS displsay Federal in the Title Indicator field, the equipment belongs to the federal government and may NOT disposed of as Lost or Stolen until the agency releases title to the university. Contact Equipment Management for instructions on how to proceed.
    2. If the asset record in CAMS displasy University in the Title Indicator field, the equipment belongs to the University. Go to step 2.

2. Report the lost or stolen item to the Campus Police.

  • Call the Campus Police Department at (858) 534-4357 to report the missing item.
  • Obtain a copy of the Campus Police report if the equipement was stolen.
  • If the equipment was Lost, submit a Disposal in CAMS.

3. Process disposal in CAMS

  • Access CAMS application to process a disposal using "Lost" or "Stolen" methods.

4. Confirm that the equipment has been removed from your inventory.

  • Check CAMS to see that the equipment's record has been inactivated from your inventory.
  • The Status field should state Inactive if properly disposed of.
For more information on equipment, see Equipment Management Basics.
Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal or call the Finance Help Line at (858) 246-4237.