Skip to main content

System Status: 

Arranging Moving Company for Academic and Staff Moves

Learn how to arrange a move/relocation with a UC contracted moving company and pay with the Travel & Entertainment Card.

1. Obtain the necessary approvals to pay for moving expenses for the new employee

2. Gather the information

Before contacting a UC contracted moving company regarding the household move, gather the information you'll need to provide:

  • Employee name and contact information including:
    • Home phone number
    • Cell phone number(s) 
    • Email(s)
    • Spouse or/and Partner name and contact information, if applicable.
  • Anticipated move date
  • Origin Address
  • Destination Address
  • Details regarding automobile shipping, storage or lab/office moves, when applicable.
    Note: Certain titles must obtain specific approvals for autos, storage or lab/office move. Review Policy to ensure appropriate approval has been obtained.
  • UC San Diego department contact name, department mail code for invoicing, and phone

Reminder: Employee household goods and personal effects must be invoiced individually and separately from lab/office move, when applicable.

3. Obtain a quote from a UC San Diego contracted moving company

Negotiated rates can only be obtained when making arrangements through one of the following UC San Diego contracted moving company representatives:

  • Alexander’s Mobility Services (Agent of Atlas):
    • Tamara Stephens  503-937-1409
    • Specialty: International, Midwest, and East Coast household goods and lab, office relocation move
  • King Relocation Service (Agent of United):
    • Connie Martinez at 800-854-3679 ext 163
    • Specialty: All USA household goods and office relocation moves
  • Suddath Relocation Systems (Agent of United):

Note: The moving company requires 4 to 6 weeks to survey, estimate, arrange and schedule a move/ transfer.

UC San Diego department contact and new employee reviews documentation from moving company to ensure information is complete, including:

  • Estimated move cost
  • Estimated pack, load and move dates, and special instructions, when applicable
  • Terms and conditions, including insurance provided and claims process

Note: It is recommended that jewelry and other small valuables are transported by the employee. If the moving company transports small valuable items, verification, such as a professional appraisal detailing the item's actual cash value, might be required.

Important! UC contracted moving companies provide some replacement value risk insurance included in the rate. Review the adequacy of this coverage. If additional coverage is needed, contact UC San Diego Risk Management.

4. Create a Request in Concur

Complete a Request in Concur - the employee household move should not be submitted as a PO.

Please be sure to create the Request under the Concur account of the T&E cardholder/user who is paying for the Moving Company Invoice expense. The T&E Card transaction(s) will automatically post to the cardholder's Concur account, and Concur Requests/Expense Reports cannot be transferred from one user's account to another.

  • Travel Request:
    • Select Moves/Relocation as the trip type and trip purpose (house-hunting trips fall under G-13 moving policy and not G-28 travel policy)
    • Complete all necessary fields regarding the move and attachments such as approval for the move
    • Add the estimate expenses
    • Approval of the Concur Travel Request for the move/relocation (preauthorization) is required before proceeding to the Travel Expense Report for reconciliation after the move occurs
  • T&E Card Request:
    • The UC contracted moving company invoice is required to be paid with the Travel & Entertainment (T&E) Card and then claimed on the Expense Report
    • If you do not have a T&E Card, please request one via Concur
    • Add a Comment in the Request Header that the card is for moving company payment so that the proper Merchant Categorization Code (MCC) is added to the card
    • For existing cardholders, you must submit a Services & Support ticket to have the MCC added to your card to avoid declines or, as applicable, request a card action to add the moving company merchant code and limit increase via Concur. 

5. Select a moving company and proceed with move

  • Select the UC San Diego contracted moving company
    • Obtain moving company contact information 
  • Confirm move costs and move/delivery dates with the moving company
  • Provide the Concur Request ID as the trip reference number to authorize the service 
  • Provide the department contact billing address for receipt of the moving company invoice
  • Check the inventory list provided by the moving company at the place of origin 
    Note: Claims for loss or damage may only be filed for items included on the inventory list

6. Post-move checklist

  • Confirm delivery of all property using the inventory list
    Note: Immediately file a claim directly with the moving company for any missing or damaged items.
  • Review the bill of lading to confirm the total weight of the items move

7. Review, pay, and report the moving company invoice

The department contact/move coordinator must pay the Moving Company Invoice with their Travel & Entertainment Card and then claim the transaction on their Concur user account (the Concur account of the payee/cardholder). This is the only move expense type that can be paid by another employee who owns a T&E Card. Should the moving company expense be incurred by the new employee, it may be claimed for reimbursement in Concur when they become an active employee/Concur user. 

  • For T&E Cardholder, use your Travel & Entertainment Card for payment 
  • Attach proof of payment and final itemized invoice(s) to the Concur Expense Report (under the T&E Cardholder's/payee's Concur account) after the T&E Card transaction posts to your Available Expenses in Concur  
  • Redact the Street Address line (leaving City, State ZIP Code) from the invoice/attachments before uploading to Concur
Note: Immediately report any discrepancies on invoices or disputed claims to the shipper contact. T&E Cardholders who need to add the Merchant Categorization Code (MCC) for moving company should submit a Services & Support ticket or T&E Card Action Request via Concur if a limit increase is also being requested.
For more information, see who to contact for additional guidance.
Notice: Published UCSD policy is decisive as it has been adapted to UCSD's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts. The source for this policy is UC Policy and Regulations for MSP and PSS personnel (PDF) and Senior Management Group Moving Reimbursement (PDF).