Skip to main content

System Status: 

Arranging Payment for Move/Relocation Expenses

Follow these guidelines to arrange for payment of moving expenses for eligible new or transferring employees/appointees.

For a simplified version of this page please check out this PDF.

1. Check if the new appointee is eligible for payment of move/relocation expenses

  • Ensure eligibility for payment of move/relocation expenses.
  • Move/relocation expenses include reasonable costs of moving household goods and personal effects to a new residence, as well as transportation to the new residence. Subject to the availability of funds, some moving expenses may be paid according to the eligibility requirements below. 

  • For academic moves, review the eligibility for academic appointees/employees.

2. Obtain appropriate approval

  • Before making a commitment to the appointee/employee, obtain approval following the step-by-step instructions.

3. Review reimbursable expenses

Due to IRS regulations and tax law, all moving expenses are considered taxable income to the employee.

4. Determine if the move includes household goods or lab equipment

  • If the move includes household goods or lab equipment, arrange the move/relocation with a UC San Diego contracted moving company 
  • Proceed to Step 5. 

5. Complete a Travel Request and Expense Report in Concur

  • Ensure that the move is approved by the proper moving authority and that it is documented with a Travel Request via Concur
    • Trip Type & Trip Purpose: Select Moves/Relocation from the drop-down menu. 
    • Approval of the Concur Request is required for all trips with the move approval letter/form attached
    • Note if it is a move/relocation for the new employee and/or the move of their lab/equipment
  • Pay the UC San Diego contracted moving company invoice with your Travel & Entertainment Card and provide the Travel Request ID as the trip number reference/authorization
    • T&E Cardholders who need to add the Merchant Categorization Code (MCC) for moving company should submit a Services & Support ticket, or a T&E Card Action Request via Concur if a limit increase is also being requested
  • Claim move expenses with the move approval letter via a Concur Travel Expense Report 
  • Redact any Personally Identifiable Information such as full residence addresses; e.g. redact the Street Address line (leaving City, State ZIP Code) from attachments before uploading to Concur

For more details on the procedure, refer to our Knowledge Base Article (KBA) on How to Manage a Move Trip.

Note: Move/relocation expenses require more in-depth review from Central Office.

  • Due to the nature of moves/relocations and separate policies (eligibility criteria, approvals, and tax reporting), the review and processing are not handled in the same manner as Travel Policy trips. 
  • After approved by the department, Move/Relocation Expense Reports are reviewed at a higher level by the Travel Analyst or Manager.
  • Postdoc move reimbursements are also routed to the Office of Postdoctoral and Research Scholar Affairs for final review and approval.
Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.
Notice: Published UCSD policy is decisive as it has been adapted to UCSD's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts. The source for this policy is UC Policy and Regulations for MSP and PSS personnel (PDF) and Senior Management Group Moving Reimbursement (PDF).