Skip to main content

System Status: 

Glacier: Tax Withholding for Noncitizens

Learn about the Glacier Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance System (Glacier), the system used by all University of California campuses for gathering tax-related information from noncitizens so payments can be correctly taxed and reported.

What is Glacier?

The Glacier Online Nonresident Tax Compliance System (Glacier) is a system that allows UC San Diego to collect tax-related information from international individuals so that payments may be taxed and reported correctly. Any international visitor receiving payment or benefits from UCSD or UCPath are required to complete a Glacier record unless they're a permanent resident, asylum-seeker, or on DACA status. 

Process overview for UCPath payments

  1. Department completes a Glacier Record Request upon hire or rehire of noncitizen employees
  2. The UCSD Glacier & Taxation Team sends two emails: one from their own email address introducing Glacier, and one from Glacier ( containing a link to the Glacier system, as well as a temporary UserID and password. They are now considered Glacier clients.
  3. Glacier client answers all of the Glacier screens, signs the Tax Summary Report and other forms Glacier generates, and gathers the "required document copies" listed on the Tax Summary Report. 
  4. Glacier client ssubmits the signed Glacier-generated forms and required document copies per the answer to B8 on our page Tax FAQ for International Visitors.
  5. The UCSD Glacier & Taxation Team reviews the Glacier materials and emails the Glacier client: 
    • If everything is correct, they will mark the Glacier record complete and, if applicable, enter tax treaty information. Overnight, the information will be transmitted to the UCPath payroll system.
    • If the Glacier forms are incorrect, missing signatures, or missing any of the required document copies the client will be asked to resubmit all Glacier materials. 

For International Visitors: 

Find more Glacier and tax information, including Glacier screens, tax treaties, residency for tax purposes, Form 1042-S, and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ).

For administrative departments

Get instructions and information about your part in the Glacier process

How to Update Visa Information in UCPath

How to Request a Student FICA Adjustment

  1. SSN agreement in all systems.
    1. If you don’t have an SSN*, go to step 2.
    2. If you have an SSN, make sure it’s entered correctly in the Glacier, UCPath, and Registrar’s systems, then go to step 2.
    3. Enter your SSN in Glacier
      1. Log in to Glacier
      2. Enter your SSN
      3. Continue through to the end of the record and print the forms Glacier generates
      4. Sign and mail forms to the UCSD Payroll Division as directed below.
    4. If you haven’t already done so, follow steps 2 and 3 at the bottom of the Your Tax Identification Number page from the Registrar’s Office.
    5. Enter your SSN in UCPath.
    6. Log in to UCPath
      1. Click the yellow “Ask UCPath” button in the top right corner
      2. Click “Search Solution”
      3. Enter SSN in search box
      4. Choose Update my Social Security Number (SSN) and follow the instructions
  2. Get proof of enrollment from the UCSD Registrar’ office. See the TritonLink's Transcripts and Verifications page.
  3. Notify the Registrar’s office that you were not on the unit file submitted to UCPath so FICA was withheld from your payment(s) despite your being enrolled in 6 units or more at UCSD, and ask them to make sure you’re on the file in the future.
  4. Submit a case to UCPath
    1. Log in to UCPath
    2. Click the yellow “Ask UCPath” button in the top right section of the screen.
    3. Submit an inquiry for myself (you may not see this screen.)
    4. Topic: Payroll
    5. Category: Tax Withholding Inquiry
    6. Subject: FICA refund for full-time student
    7. Description: Attached is proof that I was enrolled in 6 or more units at UCSD in [month name], so I qualify for the student FICA exemption. Please refund Medicare and DCP withholding.
    8. Attach the proof of enrollment you got from the Registrar’s office.

*See International Students & Programs Office (ISPO) Social Security Number (SSN) page.

Email the UCSD Glacier & Taxation Team for more information.

Note: this page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: