Skip to main content

System Status: 

UC San Diego Vehicle Driver Responsibilities

If you drive a university vehicle, know your responsibilities, what to do when a collision happens, and what happens after a collision.

Only university employees or specially approved individuals with a current, valid driver’s license are allowed to operate university vehicles.


  • Drivers are responsible for the safe and legal operation of vehicles.
  • Use vehicles for authorized purposes only.
  • Examine the vehicle for damage before you drive it. Report any damage to your supervisor before driving the vehicle.
  • Expect your department to check your Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) driving record every few months if you regularly drive a vehicle.
  • Avoid using a cell phone when driving (pull over to place or answer calls).
    • See UCOP Business & Finance Bulletin G-46 (PDF) for details.

When a vehicle collision happens

  • Do not admit or accuse fault.
  • Call the Police if the incident happens on campus, and wait for an officer to prepare a report before anyone leaves the scene. Off-campus, the Highway Patrol will respond to injury or major collisions only — not minor fender-benders.
  • Fill out the Vehicle/Cart Incident Report (PDF) at the scene of the incident before either party leaves. Forms are stored in the glove box of vehicles.
  • Get 2 independent witnesses if possible.
  • Call Risk Management, (858) 246-0369, and Fleet Services, (858) 534-3485, within 24 hours, or call the university's third-party administrator directly at 1-800-416-4029 to report a claim.

What happens after a vehicle collision

  • The DMV receives notification of an incident if the damage is over $750, which may increase your personal auto insurance premiums or jeopardize coverage with your personal auto insurance company.
  • For a liability incident, your department budget will be charged a $500 deductible and 20% of the claim cost per incident. In addition, the yearly premium will include a surcharge for the next 3 years.
  • A deductible of $500 will also be paid by the department if the vehicle is damaged. Gross negligence will be a higher cost, determined per incident.
  • If the incident results in a lawsuit, you may be named as a defendant, deposed, and have to testify in court.
  • You and your supervisor may be asked to attend a meeting with Risk Management and the Vehicle Accident Review Board to discuss the incident.


For more information, contact EH&S Risk Management, (858) 246-0369.
When a loss occurs, notify EH&S Risk Management, (858) 534-3820, immediately to promptly initiate the insurance investigation and claim process. Use pager number (858) 583-3302 for emergencies only. Take a picture if a camera is available.