UC San Diego SearchMenu

Controlled Substances: Additional Authorizations and Registrations

Read about authorizations and registrations you may need to obtain in addition to a Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA).

Depending on the purpose and controlled substance (CS) schedule number your work involves, state and federal regulations may require that other, additional authorizations or registrations be simultaneously obtained when you apply for a CSUA.

Possible additional authorizations and registrations include:

Expand all

Research Advisory Panel of California

In addition to a CSUA, California requires pre-review and authorization of proposed research projects involving any of the following:

  • Any Schedule I CS
  • Human research using any Schedule I or Schedule II CS
  • Research for the treatment of drug abuse using any drug, scheduled or not

Allow for processing time if your research project requires Research Advisory Panel authorization. At least 8 weeks before CS are to be ordered, submit a Research Application to the California Research Advisory Panel.

Follow the steps below:

  1. See the Research Advisory Panel of California Web site for application forms and submittal procedures.
  2. Contact UCSD's Controlled Substances Program, (858) 534-1362, prior to initiating the application.
  3. Apply directly to the Research Advisory Panel.
    • Send a copy of your application to the Controlled Substances Program manager:
      Mail Code: 0089
      Fax: (858) 822-0561
  4. Send a copy of the authorization you receive to the Controlled Substances Program manager:
    Mail Code: 0089
    Fax: (858) 822-0561

This review and authorization is conducted through the Research Advisory Panel of California in the Attorney General's Office.

UCSD Animal Use Protocol

Work with CS involving research animals at UCSD requires Animal Use Protocol approval and oversight by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Program Committee (IACUC).

  • Read the IACUC What You Need to Know page for application procedures.
  • IACUC shares section 17 animal protocol data with Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S). Ensure compliance in section 17 by:
    • Listing all CS administered to animals. It is insufficient to list the CS solely outside of section 17.
    • Amend your IACUC protocol to add controlled substances, if necessary.
  • Contact the IACUC, (858) 534-6069, if you have questions.

Project-specific DEA registration

Additional, project-specific DEA registrations are required for:

  • The CS listed in Schedule I (PDF)
  • If research requires the manufacturing of a CS

Contact the Controlled Substances Program manager, (858) 534-1362, for DEA registration application instructions prior to initiating application.

Expand all