Skip to main content

System Status: 

Real Estate: Licensing

Learn about license agreements involving UC San Diego properties.

The Real Estate department handles license agreements that involve the restricted or nonexclusive access, use or occupancy of either:

  • Real property owned by the University as licensor to an external entity, or
  • Real property owned by an external entity with the University as licensee.

Overview of Services

The Real Estate department is responsible for the following:

  • License preparation
  • Negotiation and execution of license agreement
  • Representing UC San Diego as licensor or licensee
  • Preparing, reviewing, negotiating and executing renewals, amendments, and termination agreements
  • License administration, including:
    • Acting as licensee and licensor liaison
    • Coordinating property inspections
    • Overseeing repairs and maintenance
    • Obtaining certificates of insurance
    • Filing property tax and possessory interest
    • Maintaining a license database
    • Billing and collecting license fees

Definition of Real Property

Real property includes land, buildings, and fixtures. Fixtures are personal property attached to real property in such a manner as to become real property and of a regulated or fiduciary nature.

External Entities

Entities that enter into license agreements with UC San Diego typically include:
  • Government entities: city, county, state, or federal
  • Business entities: corporations, partnerships, sole proprietorships, or limited liability companies
  • Charitable organizations
  • U.S. military

Common uses

Licensing agreements are required in the following types of situations:
  • Event parking - Use of University paved parking lots or vacant dirt lots for an external entity’s limited use. Although all parking lots are administered by Transportation/ Parking Services, Real Estate assists in the development and processing of this type of license agreement.
  • Construction staging - Use of paved parking lots or vacant dirt lots, separate from the corresponding construction site, by an external entity in connection with University related construction projects.
  • Telecommunications - Use of the university’s telecommunications facilities and infrastructure and/ or other properties by an external entity or the use of an external entity’s telecommunications facilities and/or other related properties by the University. Examples of this category include, but are not limited to, the following:
    • Mount Soledad antennae site agreements
    • Conduit agreements
    • Rooftop agreements for PCS, cellular, paging, etc.
  • ATM services - Use of university real property for the installation/housing of ATM machines that are either outdoor installations or interior fixtures and are owned and operated by an external entity.
  • Mobile food facilities - Use of university real property for the installation/housing of coffee and food carts or kiosks that are either indoors or outdoors and are owned and operated by an external entity.
  • Research-related facilities - Use of university real property for research related projects of either an external entity or a joint program between the external entity and the University; or the use of an external entity’s real property for purposes of staging or conducting a research activity, etc. in connection with University research.
  • Black’s Beach access - Use of university's access road and parking lot at Black’s Beach by owners of designated residences in the La Jolla Farms subdivision and for educational, research, or life/ safety uses.
  • Gliderport vacant lot - Use of the vacant lot owned by the University which is adjacent to the Torrey Pines Glider Port and used for glider activities.
  • Miscellaneous Licenses - Use of university real property on a non-exclusive basis not listed above as determined on a case by case basis by Real Estate.

Questions about whether a planned activity requires a license should be directed to Real Estate before the activity begins.


An activity requiring a license and concerning the use by an external entity of university-owned facilities or land, whether developed or not, must be sponsored by a campus or Medical Center department or entity.

The sponsoring department or entity must:

  • Ensure that the proposed activity —
    • Either directly or indirectly benefits the university,
    • Adheres to all university policies
    • Undergoes an adequate evaluation prior to submission to Real Estate
  • Serve as liaison between the university and the external entity; and
  • Assume the role of internal advocate for the proposed activity

The sponsoring entity shall act reasonably and responsibly with respect to its support of the proposed use, which must be within the scope and mission of the university.

UC San Diego’s Risk Management Department will look to the sponsor to cover all or a portion of the economic losses that may result if the sponsor is negligent with respect to such responsibility.


Depending upon its nature, the license may be reviewed by a number of parties, departments, or agencies, as indicated in Part VIII.A.5. of Policy & Procedure Manual section 440-4.
To request more information or a license, contact Real Estate, (858) 534-1488.