Skip to main content

System Status: 

Informal Conflict Management

Learn about informal conflict management, where employees initiate a problem-solving process aimed at settling differences fairly, at an early stage, in an open manner, without retaliation, and as close as possible to the source of conflict.

To initiate informal conflict management:

Note: Employees are not required to use informal conflict management and should be aware that attempts at informal conflict management do not extend the time limits for filing complaints or grievances.

To initiate informal conflict management with assistance:

If you feel uncomfortable bringing up a conflict on your own, contact Employee Relations, (858) 534-4115. In addition to providing advice and guidance, Employee Relations may refer you to one or more of these employee support services for assistance:

  • Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, (858) 534-5523, provides personal and family assistance.
  • Equal Opportunity/Staff Affirmative Action, (858) 534-3694, monitors fairness and compliance in employment and contracting.
  • DisAbility Counseling and Consulting, (858) 534-6744, provides counseling and disability management services for employees and supervisors.
  • Labor Relations, (858) 534-2810, administers collective bargaining agreements and processes grievances.
  • Office of Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy, (858) 534-8298, deals with issues that involve unwanted sexual attention.
  • Employee Relations, Policy Development and Work/Life (858) 534-4115, oversees Human Resources policies and practices as well as interdependent work/life issues such as elder care and telecommuting.
  • Workers’ Compensation, (858) 534-4785, assists employees who have a work-related injury or illness.
  • Environment, Health & Safety, (858) 534-3360, oversees practices and procedures that impact the environment and employees’ health and safety.

Employees may also seek assistance from the UCSD Office of the Ombuds, which provides informal, confidential, and impartial dispute resolution services for all members of the UCSD community, including academic appointees, staff, and students. To contact the Office of the Ombuds, call (858) 534-0777 or visit the office in Pepper Canyon Hall, Suite 402 (map).

If you need more information contact Employee Relations, (858) 534-4115.
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) and local implementing procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.