Skip to main content

System Status: 

How to Pay Participants Using Cash Advance

Follow these steps to use a cash advance to compensate human subject participants.

If it is anticipated that total payments to any one subject during the course of a study will total $600 or more in a calendar year, the payment(s) must be processed as a direct payment to participant using Concur, please see the following video instructions, and issued in the form of a check or ACH. Information required for these payments include the subject's name, address, and SSN (submit W-9). This information will be reported to the IRS, and Form 1099-MISC will be sent to the payee at the end of the calendar year in which the payment(s) were made.

Requesting A Cash Advance

  • Obtain the current IRB number for the study.
  • To request a cash advance for paying participants in clinical trials, use Concur.
    • Under “Request Header:”

      ·         Select New Request

      ·         Request Type: Card & Payment Products Request

      ·         Payment Product Type: UCSD Human Subject Payment

      ·         Fill out the remaining information

    • Under “Expense Summary:”

      ·         Under Expense Type: Payment Directly to PI

      ·         Fill out the remaining information

Securing Your Funds

  • Be sure to keep cash in a locked receptacle or safe:
    • Up to $1,000 in a lockable receptacle
    • From $1,001 to $2,500 in a safe
    • From $2,501 to $25,000 in a steel-door safe, with a door thickness of not less than 1 inch and wall thickness of not less than ½ inch
    • From $25,001 to $250,000 in a class TL-15 composite safe or better

Managing The Distribution Of Cash

  • For a confidential study, ask the participant to sign a receipt that is retained in a secure location at the department.
  • For a non-confidential study, maintain a Participant Log Sheet that the participant signs.

Note: Fund Managers should confirm current advance balance with the IPPS Human Subject Coordinator prior to study coordinator/PI leaving the department or UC San Diego.

Reconciling Cash Advances

Disbursements & Travel is no longer requiring departments to submit reconciliation and certification records in to our office. Departments are responsible for the continued maintainence of their financial records and are subject to audits by the Audit & Management Advisory Services (AMAS) team and General Accounting. if you have questions about how to maintain records, please contact Disbursements & Travel. 

Returning Unused Funds at the End of the Study

Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.