Skip to main content

System Status: 

Bankruptcy and Proof of Claims

Find out what to do if your department receives a bankruptcy notice and/ or a Proof of Claim form.

Bankruptcy is a federal court process designed to help consumers and businesses eliminate their debts or repay them under the protection of the bankruptcy court.

Notice of Bankruptcy and Proof of Claim are legal forms sent by the bankruptcy court to a person's or company's creditors. You might receive a Proof of Claim when you're not owed money, and you could receive a bankruptcy notice with or without a Proof of Claim form.

Bankruptcy notices and filing of required  forms protect your department’s interests. If your department receives either of these forms, here are things you should know:

  • Act immediately to determine if the company in bankruptcy owes money to your department or funds your project.
    • If money is owed, you may need to process a Proof of Claim. Read How to Process a Proof of Claim for step-by-step instructions.
    • If the company funds your project, be aware that bankruptcy notification usually results in suspension of financial commitments by the bankrupt party, and your project may be discontinued.
  • Your Proof of Claim paperwork and proceedings may take years and recoveries vary.
    • Payment can be in dollars or sometimes vouchers.
For legal advice contact Campus Counsel.

Note: This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: