UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Request a Salary Advance for a Non-U.S. Citizen

If your department has hired a non-U.S. citizen, you can request a salary advance to cover the individual's travel and subsistence costs.

Expand all

1. Read these guidelines for requesting a salary advance for a non-U.S. citizen.

  • Purpose of the advance: To help international visitors cover subsistence and travel costs when currency restrictions prevent them from taking adequate funds from their own countries
  • Eligibility: International visitors hired or contracted to work on UCSD projects
  • Maximum amount: $8,000 per person
  • Who requests an advance: The hiring department
  • Who approves an advance: Manager, Payroll Division
  • Repayment of advance: Within six months after arrival or before the appointment ends, whichever is earlier

2. Submit a letter of request.

  • Include the following information in the request letter:
    • Full name of the non-U.S. citizen
    • Salary rate and title of the new appointee
    • Proposed length of appointment
    • Amount of salary advance requested
    • Proposed payback schedule
  • Have the department chair sign the letter.
  • Submit the request letter to the manager, Payroll Division, Mail Code 0952.

3. Receive payment.

  • Upon approval, the Nonresident Payroll Specialist in the Payroll Division will process the check, then send it to you through campus mail.

Note: If you or the Non-U.S. citizen would prefer to pick up the check, please note this in your request letter.

4. Notify Payroll.

  • To facilitate repayment, please forward the Post Authorization Notification (PAN) to Paul Rodriguez, as soon as the employee is entered into the Payroll Personnel System (PPS).

Expand all