Skip to main content

System Status: 

How to Respond to a Complaint or Grievance

Managers and supervisors should work with Labor Relations when responding to a complaint or grievance. The steps below are general guidelines.

1. When a complaint or grievance that concerns your department has been filed, you will receive a notice from Labor Relations.

  • Complaints and grievances must be submitted to Labor Relations.
  • Labor Relations will contact you if a complaint or grievance is received and a response is necessary.

2. Contact Labor Relations before you meet with an employee and/or employee's representative about a complaint or grievance.

  • Once a complaint or grievance has been filed, consult with Labor Relations before scheduling a meeting or having contact with the employee and/or the employee's representative regarding the complaint or grievance.
  • Labor Relations must be present for all meetings involving a union representative.

3. Be responsive to Labor Relations and be available to meet during any stage of the process.

  • If you are required to attend a meeting about a complaint or grievance, Labor Relations will contact you to scheduled the date, time, and location. Remember, there may be a lot of participants required to attend the meeting, please be as flexible as possible.
  • It is important that you are responsive and present at all stages of the process. 
For more detailed information, contact Labor Relations at (858) 534-2810.
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) and local implementing procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.