UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Reclassify a Student Employee

Follow these step-by-step instructions to reclassify a casual/ restricted student employee.

Expand all

1. Decide if reclassification is appropriate.

Review the current job description to determine if changes are warranted. If so, continue to step 2.

2. Complete and submit a new Job Description form.

Do not use the standard UCSD job description form. That is for staff positions only, not student positions.

  • Complete the Job Description form online.
  • Print a copy of the form for your records (form can't be saved online).
  • Click Submit Form to transmit your request.

Health and Health Sciences: Hiring Managers and Supervisors may submit requests for reclassification directly to Student Employment. 

3. Email a reclassification request.

Email a separate short request letter to your Student Employment Liaison at the Student Employment Office. Please include:

  • Student employee's name
  • Employee ID number
  • Requested new job title
  • Requested new pay rate
  • Brief justification for the reclassification request

4. Obtain the necessary signatures.

  • Have the following people sign your copy of the Job Description form:
    • Student employee's supervisor
    • Student employee
    • Department Head (optional)
  • Retain the signed Job Description in your department files as needed.

5. Receive approval from the Student Employment Office (SEO)

  • SEO makes the classification decision and notifies you by e-mail.
  • If the reclass is approved, it is effective the beginning of the next biweekly pay period following SEO's receipt of the request.

6. Follow up, if necessary.

If SEO denies a classification request, speak with your department's HR contact or your SEO representative to explore alternatives.

Expand all

Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) and local implementing procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.