Skip to main content

System Status: 


Additional guidance on Payment Compass

All payees may now be registered in PaymentWorks. Payees who are already registered through Payment Compass, may continue to use it for invoice submission til April 2024. Below are some tips and tricks on navigating the Payment Compass platform.

Initial Information

For US income tax purposes, where are you “headquartered”?

  • US citizens, US resident aliens, permanent residents, and US Entities are headquartered in the United States.
  • Non-US citizens and non-US Entities should select their home country from the drop-down menu.

Legal Structure and Tax

The payee’s Legal Address is a permanent residence or what would be listed on legal tax documentation.

Note: It may be different from the remittance address where payments are sent.

  • US citizens should enter their permanent residence in the US.
    • Note: US resident aliens or permanent residents may enter a permanent residence in the US or in their home country if necessary.
  • US and non-US entities should enter the address they would provide on tax documentation (i.e., a W-9 or W-8BEN-E).

What if I am a non-US citizen with a US address?

  • If you are not a US resident alien or permanent resident, under the section Tax/Legal Address, enter your legal name and address in your home country.
  • You may enter your US address as the remittance address for payment if you require check. You’ll be prompted for this address under the section “Payment Options.

What if I am a non-US citizen with a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN)?

  • Choose your legal structure as “Foreign individual with ITIN or SSN” from the drop-down menu
  • Enter your SSN or ITIN in the field: “What is your US Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)?

What if I am a non-US citizen with no SSN or ITIN?

  • Choose your legal structure as “Foreign individual
  • Proceed to your Tax/Legal Address.

UC Relationship

The purpose of this page is to identify any employee-supplier relationships that would potentially cause a conflict of interest.

  • Disclosing a relationship is not disclosing a conflict. The supplier set up team will review the payee set up request to ensure the relationship is not in conflict.
  • What is an employee-supplier relationship?

An employee-supplier relationship is a relationship in which:

  • An employee proposes to rent, sell, or provide goods or services to the university
  • An employee owns or controls more than 10% interest in the supplier who proposes to rent, sell or provide goods or services to the university
  • A former employee proposes to rent, sell, or provide goods or services to the university
  • A near relative or spouse of an employee currently provides, or is being proposed to provide, goods or services to the university
  • A near relative or spouse of an employee owns or controls more than 10% interest in the supplier who currently provides, or is being proposed to supply, goods or services to the university

Additional Information

What is the difference between a Legal Address and Remittance Address?

  • Legal Address – this is the legal address a payee provides on tax documentation (e.g., W-9 or W-8BEN-E).
  • Remittance Address – this is where check payments are to be sent. It may be the same as your legal address or it may be the name and address of the company’s DBA.

How do I update registration information?

  • Payment Compass no longer allows payees to update their information on the platform. Payees registered through Payment Compass who need to update their payee registration, will need to transition to PaymentWorks. 
  • Payees are encourgaeged to sign up for PaymentWorks, which allows the payee access to make any future updates on their own.

What is the Glacier registration process and what constitutes as a “foreign individual”?

  • Glacier is a secure web-based nonresident alien (NRA) tax compliance system that the University of California uses to collect tax-related information from foreign visitors. Glacier helps determine tax residency, tax withholding rates, and income tax treaty eligibility. (
  • Payment types that may require this Glacier registration process will provide the option to check “This payee is a foreign individual” or “This payee is a foreign individual and services were performed within the US.”
  • Non-US citizens are considered foreign individuals. Even if the individual has completed a Green Card application to become a permanent resident but has not yet received it, then they may need to complete the Glacier registration.

What’s an example of a foreign individual performing services within the US?

  • This could be a guest lecturer from abroad or a performer from another country.
  • Only check this box if the foreign individual will be paid for services they provided here in the US.
Need help? Contact our team via the UC San Diego Services & Support portal