Skip to main content

System Status: 

Job Accommodation and the Interactive Process: The Faculty or Staff Member's Role

Learn about your role as a faculty or staff member arranging for a job accommodation if you are disabled or become disabled.

1. Contact an expert

For campus funded staff, contact UC San Diego DisAbility Counseling and Consulting at (858) 534-6744, or for UC San Diego Health funded staff, contact (619) 543-3200 to:

  • Receive guidance on the job accommodation process
  • Get assistance from a Disability Management Counselor

2. Request job accommodation

  • Inform your supervisor of the difficulties in performing your job.
  • Discuss job accommodation needs (verbally or in writing) with your disability management counselor.
  • Provide your supervisor with a written licensed treatment provider’s statement describing your job-related limitations (your disability management counselor does not require a medical diagnosis or treatment plans).
  • See your disability management counselor for the specific requirement guidelines.

3. Participate in interactive process meetings with your supervisor and Disability Management Counselor.

  • Compare your job-related restrictions with your job functions.
    • Consider whether your limitations are temporary or permanent, as indicated by your licensed treatment provider.
  • Identify reasonable accommodations to perform your job functions.
  • Discuss special job search assistance if you cannot perform your job functions.
  • Good faith effort and timely response.

4. Begin your job accommodation.

  • Follow up regularly with your supervisor and disability management counselor regarding the effectiveness of the accommodation.
  • If your accommodaion is unsuccessful, continue the interactive process to evaluate other accommodations.
For more information, campus funded staff contact DisAbility Counseling and Consulting, Melissa Williams at (858) 534-6744, or for Health System funded staff, contact (619) 543-3083 for further assistance.
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) and local implementing procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.