Skip to main content

System Status: 

Managing Sponsored Project Funds: Carry-Over Requests

Find out how to process a carry-over request for a sponsored project award.


A carry-over occurs when unspent funds are transferred from one budget period to a separately funded budget period. It could refer to a transfer between periods in the same fund number or between funds, if the project continues in a new fund number.

Agency notification or approval

Review written agency policies to determine whether carry-overs require agency notification or approval. If written notice is required, follow these guidelines:

  • Prepare a letter to the agency's project administrator. Include:
    • A revised budget
    • Justification for change (i.e., why you did not use funding as budgeted and how it will be used in the new period)
  • Have the principal investigator sign the letter and keep a copy for your files.
  • Send the letter and copies as necessary:
    • If your award was processed by the Office of Contract and Grant Administration (OCGA), forward the original letter to OCGA for transmittal to the agency.
    • If your award was not processed by OCGA, send the original letter to the agency and a copy to Sponsored Projects Finance (SPF).
  • When you receive official approval from the agency, send OCGA or SPF a copy of the approval.
Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.