UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Process a Damaged Package or Shipment

Find out what to do if your package or shipment is damaged.

If your package or shipment is damaged, first determine the type of shipment from the list below.

  • Incoming: items sent to you and coming through UCSD Receiving
  • Outgoing: items sent by you and going out from UCSD Shipping

After you determine the type of shipment, see the appropriate set of instructions below.

Note: There are often critical time limits for reporting a damaged package or shipment. Report any damaged package immediately.

Expand all


Note: Each situation is unique and the outcome depends on many factors.

  • If you discover damage inside a package after opening it at your location:
    • Contact the supplier
    • Keep all original packaging material
  • If Receiving discovers a package that has been damaged, Receiving will:
    • Make notations on the freight bill and possibly refuse the shipment
    • Inform you of the damage
    • Call and inform the carrier of the damage
    • Request an inspection of the damage
    • File a claim with the carrier, then send compensation to your department after the claim is settled
    • File a claim with UCSD Risk Management if the carrier denies the claim
  • Need help? Contact our team via the UC San Diego Services & Support portal or (858) 534-6238.


Contact Shipping immediately at (858) 534-5737 or through UC San Diego Services & Support

    • Shipping Memo number
    • Shipping date
  • Shipping will:
    • Call the person who received the item and instruct that person to keep all packaging materials and paperwork.
    • Call the carrier, request an inspection of the package, and submit an Intent to File a Claim form.
    • After the inspection, file a claim with the carrier and forward the inspection report and a claim report to UCSD Risk Management.
  • Risk Management will contact your department and the person who authorized the shipment.
  • Questions? Contact Shipping through UC San Diego Services & Support or (858) 534-5737.

Expand all