How to Hire a UC Retiree
Last Updated: June 17, 2016 8:18:48 AM PDT
Department managers, learn how to hire a UC retiree.
To learn about the UC rehire policy and implementing procedures, visit UCnet - Rehired Retirees
- Instruct Retiree to complete the UCSD Online Application/Profile and upload a resume at jobs.ucsd.edu.
- Download and print the Rehired Retiree Election form (PDF), and have the retiree complete and sign the document.
- Create an online short-term exception requisition.
- In the Additional Comment section, enter returning retiree.
- If the salary exceeds the midpoint or represents a 25% or greater increase, you must provide a justification to Compensation for review and approval, unless the individual is returning to the same position they retired from at the same pay.
- Complete the UCOP Retired Employee Approvals form (PDF).
Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com or fax to 858-822-2857.
- Short-term exception requisition confirmation page
- UCOP Retired Employee Approvals form
- Rehired Retiree Election form
- Salary justification, if required
If the request constitutes a variation to policy (i.e., the position is greater than 43% or longer than 12 months), Human Resources sends the UCOP Retired Employee Approval form to the chancellor for review.
- After reviewing the information, Human Resources notifies you with an approval or denial.
- Human Resources is responsible for tracking and reporting all returning retirees to the chancellor and the Office of the President.
Important: You must end any previous appointments the retiree has in PPS and create a "NEW" appointment with the approved start date and end date. If you do not, it will trigger a UCOP audit review.
- If the retiree is currently working as a retiree at UC San Diego and the Chancellor approves a new ("extended") appointment, end any previous appointments and create a new appointment and enter the approved start date, end date and appointment percentage in the Payroll Personnel System (PPS).
- If this is the first time a retiree will return to work at UC San Diego, you will also create a new appointment in PPS to establish a short term appointment.
For more information, contact your recruiter
in Human Resources. Please fax completed forms to 858-822-0547.
Note: UCOP does not allow extension of current returning retiree appointments. If the retiree's services are needed beyond the approved time, you must complete a new short-term exception requisition and UCOP Retired Employee Approval form (additional justification) and submit them to Human Resources using the steps above.