Plan ahead for positive results when welcoming your new employee to UCSD and your department.
- Ask your new employee to bring appropriate forms of identification on the first day of work. (See the I-9 and ID Documentation [PDF] form for details.)
- Inform the employee of parking options for the first day.
- Provide each staff member who will orient your new employee with a copy of the Supervisor Orientation checklist.
- Tell existing employees when they can expect their new coworker or supervisor/ manager to start.
- Collect the new-hire paperwork required by UCSD and your department. See the list of forms under First day. Some UC forms can be obtained online from UC Benefits Online Fullfillment Service and the Policy & Procedure manual (PPM).
- Set up the new employee's work area following your department's procedures.
Gather all the necessary forms:
- Fill out the forms below:
- Be sure to:
Inform the employee about UCSD's workers' compensation program:
- Print and give the employee a copy of the "Workers' Compensation: Time of Hire" pamphlet.
Note: Two-sided printing is preferred.
English version: (PDF) (Word file)
Spanish version: (PDF) (Word file)
- Print and have the employee sign an Acknowledgement of Receipt of New Hire Pamphlet: Facts About Workers' Compensation form. (required)
- Place the signed acknowledgement form in the departmental personnel file.
- Refer all questions about the "Workers' Compensation: Time of Hire" pamphlet to the Workers' Compensation Office, (858) 534-0136.
Important: It is not the responsibility of the HR contact to explain the pamphlet — only to give it to the new hire and obtain confirmation that the pamphlet was provided.
Complete these additional forms with the employee but don't send them to Payroll:
Begin a departmental orientation for your new employee using the following checklists:
Provide the new employee with:
Help the employee enroll in an Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) class within 30 days of hire.
- Select the IIPP class appropriate for the type of work being performed:
- File proof of IIPP class attendance in employee's file.
- Within first 90 days of employment or reassignment, provide an ergonomic review of the employee's workstation for those who work more than 60% of their normal work schedule at a video display terminal. (Employees represented by CUE only.)
New employees whose responsibilities include fiscal management, employee development, or travel will need the following:
New career employees will complete their probationary period after 6 months of satisfactory performance.
- Submit performance appraisal paperwork to the appropriate HR.