Principal investigators (PIs) must obtain a CSUA to possess and use CS for any of these purposes:
- Veterinary care
- Clinical trial (only if your facility is located off campus)
Note: Clinical trials performed on campus through the pharmacy do not require a CSUA.
Find out if you need a CSUA: see Determining if a Chemical is a Controlled Substance.
Additional authorizations and registrations from the CS Program Manager may be required for certain project-specific substances, locations, or purposes not covered by the university's standard DEA registration.
CSUA online application
The Controlled Substance Use Authorization (CSUA) online application provides a central and secure resource for the essential business processes and internal controls of UC San Diego's Controlled Substance Program, from application and authorization to inventory and personnel management.
Read CSUA Application to learn how to:
Learn more about the CS Program:
Authorized personnel are individuals designated by the PI to access and work with controlled substances under a specific CSUA.
Final approval of authorized personnel rests with the CS Program Manager, following verification of DEA-required information applicants provide on the Personnel Screening Data Sheet.
- Authorized personnel responsibilities:
- Use CS exclusively for the purpose stated in CSUA.
- Maintain a secure storage location for CS at all times.
- Return CS to the secure storage location when not in use.
- Record dispensation of any CS in the Log Sheet.
- Properly dispose of CS.
- Report CS inventory discrepancies, suspected misuse, or theft to the CS Program Manager, (858) 534-1362, immediately.
- Training: Authorized personnel working with CS are required to complete the Controlled Substances Training eCourse on UC Learning Center, with refresher training required every 4 years.
Final approval of all CSUA applicants and authorized personnel rests with the CS Program Manager, following verification of DEA-required information applicants provide on the Personnel Screening Data Sheet.
- PSDS forms for PIs and Applicants are available on the EH&S Forms page in the Controlled Substances section.
All applicants must answer questions concerning:
- Felony convictions in connection with controlled substances
- Surrendering previous registrations or having registration revoked, suspended, or denied
- Any use of narcotics, amphetamines, or barbiturates other than those prescribed to the applicant by a physician
PIs, lab contacts, and authorized personnel who require access to controlled substances are required to complete the Controlled Substances Training eCourse on UC Learning Center, with refresher training required every 4 years. (UC BUS-50 Controlled Substances)
How to get the training:
Note: To dispose of pharmaceuticals that are not CS, see Pharmaceuticals Disposal.