- Are you in the right place? To dispose of pharmaceuticals that are not controlled substances, see Pharmaceuticals Disposal.
Return CS to EH&S
Disposal of controlled substances is strictly regulated by federal law.
- Return all unused CS to Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) for disposal.
If more CS will be ordered soon, CS for disposal may be returned to EH&S at the same time new CS is picked up (please bring the corresponding Log Sheet).
How to request CS disposal
Use the CSUA Web application to request disposal. (Contact your PI, lab contact, or the CS Program Manager to gain authorization to use the CSUA application.)
- Go to My Research Safety.
- Click the Authorizations tab and select Controlled Substance Use Authorization.
- In the CSUA application, select the My Inventory tab.
- Select the product from your inventory list by checking the box in the “Dispose” column.
- Click the Submit Disposal Request button.
- EH&S will contact your lab to schedule the CS return.
Retain Log Sheets in the CS Log Book for a minimum of 3 years after disposal by EH&S.
When to request CS disposal
- A project closes or is terminated and a CS is still in supply
- A CSUA expires and a renewal has not been submitted
- The PI determines a CS is no longer required
- The PI terminates employment
- The CS expires