How to Hire Students
Last Updated: August 1, 2014 9:11:21 AM PDT
Use this step-by-step guide to recruit and select student employees.
In the right place? See how to hire academic employees, graduate students, or staff.
- Academic Affairs / Student Life / IRPS / Rady: Mary Lou Gomez, (858) 534-0148
- Business Affairs / Student Affairs / CREATE / VCRMP: Marco Rizo, (858) 534-0153
- School of Medicine / SIO / UCSD Healthcare / VCHS: Mary Lewis, (858) 534-0150
- Duties to be performed (see classifications) and skills and knowledge required or preferred to perform the duties.
- Number of hours per week needed to perform the duties, who the supervisor will be, and rate of pay.
- How you would like students to apply (call, e-mail, fax/ send resume, apply online through Port Triton etc.)
- Decide if the position will be funded with departmental funds, work-study funds, or both. If you hire a work-study student, a percentage of the funding must be departmental monies; the remaining funding will come from the designated work-study program.
- Get funding approval from your department.
- Funding must be a campus source through the UCSD Payroll Office using sub-2.
- If you have a particular student in mind for the position, hire by exception. Otherwise, hire by open recruitment.
- Contact your department business or personnel office.
- Become familiar with your department's procedures for hiring student employees.
What happens next?
Open Recruitment: The position will be classified by your departmental personnel office and posted on Career Services' website. Students will apply directly to the department.
Hire By Exception: The position will be classified by your departmental personnel office. Experiential & Employment Services will review the online exception request. Approval or disapproval to hire will be sent to your departmental personnel office electronically.
- Determine which students may be qualified for the position and interview them, asking each the same set of questions.
- Verify that each candidate is currently registered at UCSD (students must be registered each quarter they work). Note: Students registered at other UCs may work at UCSD during our breaks by exception only.
- If you are hiring a work-study student, ask for a copy of the candidate's award notification (found on TritonLink) showing an accepted work-study award.
- Check with your departmental business or personnel office to see what else may be required in the hiring process.
- Discuss student timekeeping procedures with your department timekeeper.
- Make an offer to the candidate you have selected.
- Refer the candidate to the appropriate department contact responsible for preparing the online hire information in the Payroll Personnel System (PPS). Do not allow the student to work until this process has been completed.
- Inform all candidates of the outcome of the interview process.
For more information, contact your Student Employment Liaison at Employment Services (ES) in the Career Services Center.
The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members
(PPSM) and local implementing procedures
or applicable collective bargaining agreement
for full text of referenced information.