How to Request an Exception to Open Recruitment for Student Jobs
Last Updated: March 30, 2016 1:42:28 PM PDT
Find out how to request an online exception to open recruitment when you want to hire a particular student.
In the right place? If you need to list an open recruitment, see How to List Student Jobs.
On-campus department staff must contact the Student Employment Office to schedule a training session before submitting an Exception to Hire on Port Triton.
- E-mail your Student Employment Office (SEO) representative.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions listed below.
- Job numbers are valid for hire for 60 days from the approval date or 60 days from the expiration date — whichever is later.
- Go to the Career Center's Web site.
- Select Faculty and Staff from the tabs at the top of the page.
- At the drop-down, click Campus Login for Posting Jobs.
- Your username is your e-mail. Your password was e-mailed to you. (Both are case sensitive.)
- At your home page, under "Shortcuts," select Create Job Posting.
- Never use the main toolbar "Back" button. Only use the current page's "Back," "Return," or "Home" option.
- At the "Job Postings" page, complete the "fill in the blanks" template.
Complete required fields:
- Position Title: Enter the working title and then the classification (Payroll title). Enter "EXC" at the end.
- Desired Start Date: Leave blank or use the "select" button. Exception requests are not approved retroactively.
- Position Type: If departmental funding, click on On-Campus: Work-Study not required but may be used.
- Position Type: If work-study only funding, click on On-Campus: Work-Study Required.
- Salary/ Pay Rate: Enter the specific hourly pay rate. Do not enter a pay range.
- Job Function: Select one or more job functions.
- Job Description: Describe the duties and tasks of the position.
- Student Name: Enter the student's name and PID (student ID number). Enter the justification for hiring this particular student.
- PID: Student's PID number
- If hiring additional students for the same job, click on new student and keep adding students until complete. This is limited to 25 students. More students than that will have to be emailed in an excel spreadsheet.
- Near Relative: Address the near-relative issue (PDF). If no near relative write None.
- Approval: Leave blank, this is where you will see SEO approval.
- Additional Authorization: If you are requesting the exception hire of a graduate student, contact the student's graduate coordinator and request approval for this employment before submitting the exception request to SEO. Enter the graduate coordinator's name, department and approval in this box.
- Qualifications: Job qualifications as well as the statement "Must pay UCSD Student Services fees each quarter working." Enter required and/or preferred qualifications.
- Qualifications: If this position requires a work-study only student, enter "Must have yy/yy work study."
- Resume Receipt: Click Other.
- In the "How to Apply" box, enter Exception.
- Posting Date: Using the "select" button, enter today's date.
- Expiration Date: Using the "select" button, enter a today's date.
Location: Click Add Item and insert the city, state, and country where the job duties take place.
- UCSD Alumnus: Click Yes if you are a UCSD alumnus or No if you are not.
- Click Submit.
- Click on the job title you entered. You can edit the exception request if needed.
- Click on the Preview tab, and print the exception request.
- You will not receive the automated email for an exception request. Exceptions are processed within a day or two, you will be contacted if there are questions or concerns regarding the request. Log into your Port Triton profile and view your job postings. You will see a green check mark next to your request. Click on the job title to open the template and review the comments to determine if your request has been approved or denied. Note: a green check mark doesn't mean your exception has been approved, it means the request has been completed therefore you must check SEO's comments.
Always click the Logout button on the top right when you've finished entering or managing jobs.
For more information, contact your Employment Liaison at the Student Employment Office in the Career Center:
- Academic Affairs/ Student Life/ GPS/ Rady: Connie Ruan, (858) 534-0148
- Business Affairs/ Student Affairs/ CREATE/ VCRMP: Marco Rizo, (858) 534-0153
- School of Medicine/ SIO/ UCSD Healthcare/ VCHS: Mary Lewis, (858) 534-015