Subject to the Chancellor's approval, the employment of near relatives in the same department may be permitted when such concurrent employment would be in the best interests of the University.
For the purpose of this policy, a near relative is defined as a:
- Domestic partner
- Child (including the child of a domestic partner)
- In-laws and step-relatives in the relations listed above, including relatives of a domestic partner.
The Student Employment Office, a unit of the Career Center, has delegation of authority to review near relative employment requests involving casual-restricted (student) employees.
Before offering a student a position, please answer the following questions and submit to Mary Lewis.
- What is the job posting number?
- What is the payroll title?
- Was the position openly recruited or an exception to hire?
- Is this a new position or existing?
4a. If new, will the department hire the second highest scoring applicant or seek another person by exception if the near relative request is denied?
- Provide the name and employing department of the candidate's near relative and the family relationship of the candidate to the near relative.
- Does the near relative have unique qualifications for this position to support this request?
- Would the near relative be directly supervising the applicant or vice versa?
- Would the near relative and candidate be reporting to or working for the same supervisor?
- Woud the near relative and candidate be working within the same unit but reporting to others?
9a. If yes, will the near relative or applicant have final decision making authority or influence on salary, job responsibilities or other work related activities?
- Is the near relative on a reporting line over the applicant or vice versa (list the reporting line including names and titles or provide an organizational chart)?
- How large is the working unit?
- Will they be working in the same location or in close proximity?
- Does the department's immediate supervisor(s) of the near relative and the candidate and the VC endorse this near relative appointment? (this is kept confidential).
The Student Employment Office will email an approval or disapproval to the hiring department. If approved, the department may proceed with the hire. The near relative approval must be annotated in the Payroll and Personnel System (PPS) via a Post Authorization Notification (PAN) comment.
For more information, please refer to PPSM-21 (PDF).