How to Transfer Equipment to Surplus Sales
Last Updated: November 13, 2015 3:28:32 PM PST
Follow these steps to transfer inventorial and non-inventorial equipment to Surplus Sales. If UCSD has title to a piece of equipment or property in your department that you have no further use for, you may transfer it to Surplus Sales.
UCSD's Campus Asset Management System (CAMS)
Equipment at UCSD is managed trhough the Campus Asset Management System. To learn more about CAMS, view these tutorials:
UCSD has two types of equipment
- Inventorial Equipment has an acquisition cost of $5,000 or more and must be tracked as property through CAMS (Campus Asset Management System) and through UCSD’s financial system.
- Non-Inventorial equipment/property has an acquisition cost less than $4,999 and must be tracked through the financial system, or the Elective Module (Non-inventorial) in CAMS.
Note: Non-Inventorial (NI) property transferred to Surplus Sales must be processed through CAMS. Learn how by watching the Surplus Transfer Requests (STR) video or by clicking the Help button in CAMS for Tutorial Videos, and selecting "Create Surplus."
- Check with the principal investigator who has custody of the equipment.
- If the equipment is not excess, go to alternative Ways to Dispose of Equipment.
- If the equipment is excess, go to step 2.
- Check the equipment or property for UCID tags.
- If you see 2 equipment tags, one white and one gold (UCID and government), the equipment may not be sent to Surplus Sales. Review the Business and Financial Bulletins on disposals of government property, BUS-38 and BUS-29 and contact Equipment Management, (858) 534-6163, for instructions on how to proceed
- If you see only 1 white tag (UCID bar code), go to step 3.
- Check CAMS to verify eligibility of the equipment for Surplus Sales by searching the UCID # via status of "ALL."
- If CAMS has a a title of "Federal Property" in the Title Indicator field, the equipment belongs to the federal government, and may not be sent to Surplus Sales until the title vests with UCSD. Contact Equipment Management, (858) 534-6163, for instructions on how to proceed.
- CAMS will automatically screen for this. If the asset is under a federal title, the system will not allow the transfer. Go to step 3.
Equipment that may have come in contact with hazardous materials must be certified contamination free before you send it to Surplus Sales. See How to Get a Decontamination Clearance for Equipment or Facilities for instructions.
- Data processing equipment being declared surplus must have all sensitive data removed or wiped. To learn more about sensitive data or how to remove it, read Computer Media Decommissioning Procedures.
- Affix a label with the following information
This certified clean label template (PDF) is available for use.
- Name of person who cleansed the machine
- Data that machine was cleansed
- Method or program used to cleanse the device
Note: Surplus Sales will not accept computers or data-storage devices without a "certified clean" label.
- See the above links for tutorials on this process.
- Complete the Surplus Transfer Request (STR) from the Transfers tab in CAMS. After department approval by the DEC, the request will be forwarded electronically to Surplus Sales for the equipment's pickup.
- Note: For non-inventorial items not already created in CAMS, you can create a non-inventorial asset on the fly via the Create New Asset button. Contact Surplus Sales, (858) 536-3225 for more information or Equipment Management, (858) 534-6163 for training.
When the Surplus Transfer Request (STR) is ready for your approval, you will receive a system-generated email.
- Copy the STR number from the subject line of the email that you received.
- Access CAMS and login using your Single Sign On User ID.
- From the SSO Welcome page, click OK at the bottom of the page.
- The Home Tab Welcome page will display. Enter the STR number in the Quick Search "Transfer Number" field and click on Search.
- The Transfers Tab Surplus Detail page will display. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to view the Assets area. Click the Approve button once.
- The screen will re-display, and the Assets section is now called Approve Assets. Click on the drop down box in the Approval Status column at the right side of the section.
- Select "Approved."
- Click the Save button.
- If Surplus Sales accepts your equipment, check CAMS to see that the equipment's record has been removed from your inventory. You can do a Quick search by the UCID or Non-Inventorial number to check the status of the equipment or property.
- If Surplus Sales rejects your equipment, check alternative Ways to Dispose of Equipment.
To ask questions, request a service, or report an issue, contact us through BFSupport