Retirement saving and investing
The University of California Retirement System (UCRS) offers several retirement savings and investment plans to eligible UCSD employees:
- University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP): A defined benefit plan for eligible UC employees. This means your benefits are determined by a formula including age, salary, and years of service. The plan provides you with monthly retirement income, or you can choose to take a lump sum cashout.
- Estimate your retirement income.
- View the 1976 UCRP Summary Plan Description (PDF) (if you are not coordinated with Social Security: 1976 UCRP Summary Plan Desciption for Members Without Social Security [PDF]).
- View the 2013 UCRP Summary Plan Description (PDF)
- View your UCRP estimates and CAP balances on At Your Service .
- Many UCRP members have a Capital Accumulation Provision (CAP) [PDF].
- Defined Contribution Plan (DC Plan) [PDF]: Provides supplemental retirement benefits. The plan is made up of 2 separate accounts:
- Past pre-tax contribution account
- Voluntary after-tax contribution account (enroll at Fidelity NetBenefits)
- 403(b): A voluntary savings and investment plan. You contribute on a pretax basis, which reduces your taxable income. Your contributions and earnings are taxed when you withdraw the money.
- 457(b): Another voluntary, tax-deferred savings and investment plan. When used with an existing 403(b) plan, the 457(b) plan effectively doubles the amount you can put into tax-deferred retirement savings.
Note: Fidelity Retirement Services maintains participant accounts and records for these plans. See UCnet for detailed information on Fidelity Retirement Services and on the DC Plan, 403(b) and 457(b). To enroll in any or all of these supplemental retirement benefits, log into Fidelity NetBenefits.
Other programs and resources
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Health Flexible Spending Account
- ScholarShare: California's 529 College Savings Program
- See When You Retire From UCSD: Employee Checklist.
- Read online summary plan descriptions of all UC retirement plans.
UC Retirement Service Center
- Option #4 for retiree general assistance
- Option #8 to begin processing a retirement request
- FAX: 1-800-792-5178