Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
January 30, 2013 1:57:14 PM PST
Learn about the Dependent Flexible Spending Account (FSA), which lets you pay for eligible dependent care expenses on a pre-tax, salary reduction basis.
The Dependent Flexible Spending Account (FSA), administered for UC by CONEXIS, is a voluntary program established under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) section 129. FSAs let you pay for medical or dependent care expenses not covered by insurance with pre-tax funds.
You can participate in Dependent FSA if you:
- Are an active employee appointed by the university to work at least 50% time for one year or more, or 100% time for 3 or more months
- Worked 1,000 hours in a 12-month period
- Work at least 43.75% time
Visit the At Your Service pages on Eligibility and the FSA Eligible/ Ineligible Expenses for more information.
Note: If you are married, both you and your spouse (unless your spouse is incapable of self-care or is a full-time student) must have earned income during the year. Eligible expenses would be considered.
Period to Enroll
- When you are first hired into an eligible position
- When you transfer to an eligible appointment
- If you have a qualified family status change (use the UPAY 850 (PDF) to enroll)
- During annual open enrollment
- If currently enrolled and want to be a plan participant the following year, you must re-enroll during Open Enrollment
For details, read the Summary Plan Description (PDF) or see the At Your Service page on Enrollment.
You can't change Dependent FSA contributions during the year unless you experience a qualifying event. These include:
- Legal marital status
- Number of eligible dependents
- Dependent eligibility, including a child reaching age 13
- Employment status that causes a gain of benefit eligibility
- Cost or coverage (i.e., your dependent care expenses increase or decrease or you change child care providers or the amount of time needed for child care)
Dependent FSA allows reimbursements up to the amount you have contributed to date. For details about claim reimbursement, see At Your Service.
To request reimbursement use either of these methods:
To submit a manual claim for reimbursement for out-of-pocket payments:
To determine your estimated tax savings, use the Dependent FSA calculator.
For more information, contact Conexis at (800) 482-4120.Note:
This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/depcare
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective
bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff
Members (PPSM) or applicable collective bargaining
agreement for full text of referenced information.