UC San Diego SearchMenu

Applying for a Passport

Learn how to apply for a U.S. passport book or passport card on campus.

Note: Passport cards may only be used for land and sea travel from the U.S. to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Hours and Location

Mail Services accepts walk-in passport applications weekdays 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. and every second Saturday of the month 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. The Passport Acceptance Office is at Mail Services in the Campus Services Complex, Building A (map). 

**Due to the high volume of customers and mailing deadlines we cannot guarantee the acceptance of all walk-in applicants, and may have to unexpectedly lock our doors sooner than 1 p.m. on any given day of the week. We reccommened you arrive before 12 p.m. to have enough time to process your application(s).

Application guidelines and materials

Each person who needs a passport (including minors) must appear in person with the following materials:

  • A completed application: Available online (PDF) or at Mail Services
  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity
  • Two 2" X 2" passport photos, available at Passport Acceptance Office: $10 (set of 2), $5.00 each additional set
  • Two forms of payment for each of the required fees:
    • Application fee, $15 - $140: Make your check(s) payable to the U.S. Department of State. Each application must have a separate check or money order.
    • Execution fee, $25: Make your check(s) payable to UC Regents. Can be combined onto one check for all applicants, or paid cash.

Children should have both parents present. If a parent can't be present then parental consent is required.

Routine processing takes 4 to 6 weeks. Request expedited service for faster processing and overnight delivery service for faster delivery after processing. The fees for these services are payable to the U.S. Department of State in addition to application fees.

More information about applying for US passport book or card is available at the Department of State passport website.