Buying Green Products in
When searching for products in Marketplace, look for the green product flags below. Filter by Green Product Flags in order to only see green flagged products in your search results. Note: products flags only apply to hosted catalog searches (excludes Punchout and iRequest items).
Supplier identified that this product is made from recycled content.
See product description for percentages.
Suppler identified that this product is environmentally preferable.
See product description for specifications
UCSD Procurement & Contracts vetted the product and identified that the product meets our environmentally friendly standards
Quick Tip: Create an Advanced Search to see only the UCSD Green Flag products in your search results.
Look for the California supplier flag to find local, California suppliers . Buying local reduces fuel use from transporting goods.
Purchase from on-campus retailers, such as Core Bio Services, in Marketplace
Use Marketplace to Your Advantage
Store Packing Slips electronically to avoid printing & paper use: Marketplace Electronic Packing Slips
Consolidate Orders to reduce packaging waste
- Shared Favorites Folder: A Shared Favorites Folder is a Favorites folder accessible to a group of multiple Marketplace users of your choice, making group purchases easier. To set up a Shared Favorites folder, fill out a Shared Favorites Request form (PDF) and send the form to the Marketplace Help Desk through BFSupport (bfsupport.ucsd.edu)
- Shared Carts: A Shared Cart is a Marketplace shopping cart that can be loaded and submitted by multiple Marketplace users, making group purchases easier. Learn More about Shared Carts in Marketplace
- Why consolidate? To avoid unnecessary packaging waste (pictured below)
Purchasing comes with disposal responsibilities
Make sure you dispose of things properly whenever possible
- Extra chemicals? Donate to Chemcycle
- Send excess university property to Surplus Sales. Surplus will sell back to UCSD or the community at a lower price.
- Expanded Polystyrene (Styrofoam) Cooler Packaging and Gel Packs
- From Sigma-Aldrich: Instructions Here
- From Life Technologies: Drop off clean Life Technologies coolers AND gel packs next to the Core Bio Services receiving doors. CORE will return the coolers and gel packs to Life Technologies for reuse
- Non-Life Technologies gel packs: Please give them to a Core Bio Services sales associate at the front desk. CORE partners with UCSD's Athletic department to reuse gel packs among athletic training staff. Deliveries are made monthly
Proper Landfill Disposal
These links provided material for this page. Use them for more detailed information on EPP.