When an Employee Transfers to Another Department: Department Checklist
March 14, 2013 1:41:24 PM PDT
Supervisors, use this checklist to determine the steps to take when an employee transfers to another department.
In the right place? For information about layoff or reduction in time, see Layoff/ Reduction in Time: Overview. For information about employee termination, contact your employee relations specialist.
Discuss the following:
- How will you fill the vacancy?
- Is the employee willing to train a replacement?
Access the PPS online system to end the appointment:
- End the appointment and distribution with last day on pay status (in current department).
- Add new department's code as the alternate department until all transactions are complete.
- On the PAN list of reviewers, add e-mail for HR contact for the new department.
- Update timekeeping with any recent vacation or sick leave with the current department.
- When all current department business is completed, change alternate department code to the new department's code, and delete current department code.
Note: The new department will add new appointment and distribution, change Mail Code, phone extension and location, payroll title, Employee Relations code, and BELI code, if applicable.
- Copy the employee personnel file. Send original to the new department, and keep a copy for your record.
Discuss with the employee:
- Which e-mail messages should be transferred or deleted?
- Is an e-mail absence message required to:
- Indicate the employee has left the department?
- Redirect inquiries to the appropriate department contact?
- Is setting up temporary network access to obtain copies of personal communications necessary?
- Voice mail:
- Reset password to the five-digit extension number.
- Determine if a forwarding message is necessary.
- Electronic files:
- Determine which files should be transferred or deleted.
- Provide the employee with an alternate area to transfer necessary files.
- Instruct the employee to delete files.
After you have transferred or deleted the e-mail and network files:
- Notify your department security administrator (DSA) to terminate access to any of the following:
- Link family
- Web IFIS
- Data Warehouse
- Notify your department's network administrator to terminate the employee's computer login to:
- Local servers
- Department dial-in service
- E-mail service
- Other local network operations and charges
Cancel or transfer access to the following, where applicable:
- Cell phone service
- Department copy cards: Contact Clarissa Bash, (858) 534-2534
- Express Card
- Telecom services, including:
- Authorization codes
- Calling cards
- Telephones (land lines)
- Voice mail
- Ship To codes
- Buyer code: Contact Kathy Meadows, (858) 534-3091.
- Environment, Health & Safety privileges: Notify EH&S if the employee was authorized to work with regulated materials, including:
- Biohazardous material
- Radioactive material
- Controlled substances
- Select Agents
- Human gene transfer clinical trials
- Verify that the employee returns these items:
- Cell phones
- Confirm receipt of:
- Calling cards on all indexes
- Copy cards
- Express card
- Department keys or key cards
- Check with your department's property administrator to ensure that the employee returned all UC equipment.
Remove the employee's name from following areas, where applicable:
- Emergency contact list
- Internal forms
- Office security codes, access codes on keypads
- Security alarm lists
- Web pages and directories
See these contacts for more information:
Notice: This is a summary of campus business services. In case of conflict in interpretation, the actual