When an Employee Transfers to Another Department: Department Checklist
Last Updated: May 5, 2014 9:53:28 AM PDT
Supervisors, use this checklist to determine the steps to take when an employee transfers to another department.
For information about layoff or reduction in time, see Layoff/ Reduction in Time: Overview
. For information about employee termination, contact your employee relations specialist
Discuss the following:
- How will you fill the vacancy?
- Is the employee willing to train a replacement?
Access the PPS online system to end the appointment:
- End the appointment and distribution with last day on pay status (in current department).
- Add new department's code as the alternate department until all transactions are complete.
- On the PAN list of reviewers, add e-mail for HR contact for the new department.
- Update timekeeping with any recent vacation or sick leave with the current department.
- When all current department business is completed, change alternate department code to the new department's code, and delete current department code.
Note: The new department will add new appointment and distribution, change Mail Code, phone extension and location, payroll title, Employee Relations code, and BELI code, if applicable.
- Copy the employee personnel file. Send original to the new department, and keep a copy for your record.
Discuss with the employee:
- Which e-mail messages should be transferred or deleted?
- Is an e-mail absence message required to:
- Indicate the employee has left the department?
- Redirect inquiries to the appropriate department contact?
- Is setting up temporary network access to obtain copies of personal communications necessary?
- Voice mail:
- Reset password to the five-digit extension number.
- Determine if a forwarding message is necessary.
- Electronic files:
- Determine which files should be transferred or deleted.
- Provide the employee with an alternate area to transfer necessary files.
- Instruct the employee to delete files.
After you have transferred or deleted the e-mail and network files:
- Notify your department security administrator (DSA) to terminate access to any of the following:
- Link family
- Web IFIS
- Data Warehouse
- Notify your department's network administrator to terminate the employee's computer login to:
- Local servers
- Department dial-in service
- E-mail service
- Other local network operations and charges
Cancel or transfer access to the following, where applicable:
- Cell phone service
- Department copy cards: Contact Clarissa Bash, (858) 534-2534
- Express Card
- Telecom services, including:
- Authorization codes
- Calling cards
- Telephones (land lines)
- Voice mail
- Ship To codes
- Buyer code: Contact Kathy Meadows, (858) 534-3091.
- Environment, Health & Safety privileges: Notify EH&S if the employee was authorized to work with regulated materials, including:
- Biohazardous material
- Radioactive material
- Controlled substances
- Select Agents
- Human gene transfer clinical trials
- Verify that the employee returns these items:
- Cell phones
- Confirm receipt of:
- Calling cards on all indexes
- Copy cards
- Express card
- Department keys or key cards
- Check with your department's property administrator to ensure that the employee returned all UC equipment.
Remove the employee's name from following areas, where applicable:
- Emergency contact list
- Internal forms
- Office security codes, access codes on keypads
- Security alarm lists
- Web pages and directories
Notice: This is a summary of campus business services. In case of conflict in interpretation, the actual policies apply.