Skip to main content

System Status: 

Google Workspace Transition for Students

In February 2021, Google announced the renaming of G Suite for Education to Google Workspace for Education. The most notable change affecting UC San Diego students is unlimited storage will no longer be offered in Google Workspace.

Student Storage Quotas

UC San Diego is shifting towards a managed storage model. The initial step involves implementing storage quotas on accounts. The project team conducted a comprehensive evaluation of Google storage usage across campus. 

The primary objectives of the quotas are to:

  • Impact as few students, faculty, and staff as possible
  • Ensure efficient and cost-effective utilization of storage resources
  • Promote fairness and equity in resource allocation
  • Avoid over allocation of storage and ensure headroom for future campus growth

Quotas will be implemented for all current student accounts on October 30, 2023. These quotas have been designed based on current usage patterns to minimize any disruption to individual accounts.

Current Usage Storage Quota
0GB - 0.8GB 2 GB
0.9GB - 20GB 20 GB

Note: students who are also UC San Diego employees, including teaching/instructional assistants, research assistants, etc., are treated in the Faculty & Staff quota tier (100GB).

At UC San Diego, the vast majority of students (96%) are not heavy Google users, allowing us to focus our storage resources on those who need it most. The remaining 4% of all students store large volumes of data that will be impacted, and we encourage over-quota students to delete non-essential data and transfer personal data to a personal Google account ASAP.

All incoming students now have a 5GB quota applied.

Please see the FAQs below to request additional storage for specific coursework needs.

Next Steps

  1. Use the Google Storage Manager to view your current storage.
  2. Scan for and delete large or duplicate files you may no longer need.

If you are over the storage quota at the deadline, your account will be "read-only". You will not be able to add or edit files until data is deleted or moved out of MyDrive.

If you have questions or want guidance, we are here to help. Contact the Service Desk and we will assist.

Need help? Contact your departmental technical support or the ITS Service Desk, (858) 246-4357 or ext. 6-HELP.