University insurance programs do not cover damage or loss to personal vehicles used for approved university business.
A vehicle owner's personal liability policy is primary in the event of a vehicle collision when using a personal car for UCSD business. If that exhausts, UC San Diego’s liability policy is secondary.
Physical damage insurance
Physical damage is the full responsibility of the vehicle owner. Departments can opt to pay up to $500 for a deductible, but if the vehicle's owner doesn't have physical damage coverage (comprehensive), the university cannot assist with reimbursement.
Manage your department's risk
- Check driver's licenses regularly to ensure they're current and valid.
- Keep a copy of current proof of driver's insurance on file.
- Check driving records in one of the following ways:
- If you are involved in a collision, report the incident to your personal insurance company and EH&S Risk Management (PDF).
Risk Management training
UC San Diego would like to lower the risk for all employees on the road. Risk Management provides Smith System training to protect experienced drivers from others on the road. Contact EH&S Risk Management, (858) 246-0369 to schedule training.
- Learn more about all Risk Management training classes offered.