Personal Vehicle Usage for UCSD Business
May 15, 2013 3:07:48 PM PDT
Learn what supervisors and employees need to know about using privately owned vehicles for university business.
University insurance programs do not cover damage or loss to personal vehicles used for approved university business.
A vehicle owner's personal liability policy is primary in the event of a vehicle collision when using a personal car for UCSD business. If that exhausts, UC San Diego’s liability policy is secondary.
Physical damage insurance
Physical damage is the full responsibility of the vehicle owner. Departments can opt to pay up to $500 for a deductible, but if the vehicle's owner doesn't have physical damage coverage (comprehensive), the university cannot assist with reimbursement.
Manage your department's risk
- Check driver's licenses regularly to ensure they're current and valid.
- Keep a copy of current proof of driver's insurance on file.
- Check driving records in one of the following ways:
- If you are involved in a collision, report the incident to your personal insurance company and EH&S Risk Management (PDF).
Risk Management training
Notice: When a loss occurs, notify EH&S Risk Management,
(858) 534-3820, immediately to promptly initiate the insurance investigation and claim process. Use
pager number (858) 583-3302 for emergencies only. Take a picture if a camera is available.