Fire Extinguisher Inspection Checklist
October 25, 2013 2:29:17 PM PDT
Learn how to do a monthly fire extinguisher inspection in your workplace.
Departments must assign an individual to inspect monthly the extinguishers in or adjacent to the department's facilities.
- Confirm the extinguisher is visible, unobstructed, and in its designated location.
- Verify the locking pin is intact and the tamper seal is unbroken. Examine the extinguisher for obvious physical damage, corrosion, leakage, or clogged nozzle.
- Confirm the pressure gauge or indicator is in the operable range or position, and lift the extinguisher to ensure it is still full.
- Make sure the operating instructions on the nameplate are legible and facing outward.
- Check the last professional service date on the tag. (A licensed fire extinguisher maintenance contractor must have inspected the extinguisher within the past 12 months.)
- Initial and date the back of the tag.
Note: An A-B-C fire extinguisher can be used on all kinds of fires.
If your extinguisher is missing or needs service, contact one of the following:
- On campus:
Facilities Management Service Referral Desk, (858) 534-2930
- At UCSD Medical Center – Hillcrest:
Facilities Engineering Help Desk, (619) 543-6454
- At UCSD Medical Center – Thornton:
Facilities Engineering Help Desk, (858) 657-6400