How to Use a Fire Extinguisher
February 26, 2013 3:16:42 PM PST
Follow these instructions for using a portable fire extinguisher.
Take the mystery and fear out of when and how to use an extinguisher with training.
- Activate the fire alarm and call for help.
- Campus phones: call 911
- Other phones: dial (858) 534-4357
- UCSD Medical Center: call Security at 6111
- Alert people in the area to evacuate.
- Use a fire extinguisher only if:
- The fire is small (trash can size).
- You know how to use a fire extinguisher.
- You have a clear exit path behind you.
- Pull the pin in the extinguisher's handle.
- Aim the nozzle at the base of the flames, holding the extinguisher within 6 feet of the fire.
- Squeeze (or press) the handles together.
- Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it is out.
- Report used extinguishers immediately.
Facilities Management Referral Desk, (858) 534-2930
- UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest:
Facilities Engineering Help Desk, (619) 543-6454
- UCSD Medical Center-Thornton:
Facilities Engineering Help Desk, (858) 657-6400
- If injuries or damage occurred, notify the Risk Management Office, (858) 534-3820.
Notice: In case of fire, your first responsibility is to escape unharmed and sound the alarm. Use a fire
extinguisher only if you have been trained to use one and you have a clear exit path behind you.