Training and Development Programs
January 16, 2013 5:04:00 PM PST
Find out about the range of training and development programs that Staff Education offers UCSD employees.
Staff Education and Development offers classes, specialized programs, and other events to encourage professional and management development.
Staff Education and Development has designed a variety of courses, curricula, and certificate programs to meet specific training and development needs. For a list of current offerings and to enroll, consult UC Learning Center.
The following programs were custom-developed to encourage professional development. Many of these from previous years programs were recorded: see Blinkcast to view or listen.
- Middle Management Advance is an annual management development program that provides middle managers with information on university management issues and skills. Employees are identified for invitation by their vice chancellors.
- The Staff Development Program is intended for staff who are not eligible to attend the Middle Management Advance, i.e., anyone whose position is classified as PSS 1 through 5 or equivalent. This annual program includes two keynote speeches on topics of general interest and development potential for the audience. Participation is coordinated by each vice chancellor’s human resources office and VC area departments. Invitations are extended once a year, and enrollment is via the UC Learning Center.
- The New Supervisor Orientation is a leadership orientation that acquaints participants with the principles, policies, resources and best practices of supervising in the University. This program is intended for new supervisors and managers who have yet to be trained. Learn more on this Blink page.
- UC Business Officer Institute (BOI), sponsored twice yearly by the University of California Office of the President, is a three-day program that addresses the business officer’s role as an officer of the UC system, communicates expectations for business conduct across all locations, expectations for local practice, high-level operating principles, and policies.
- UCSD Business Leadership Forum (BLF) is the UCSD complement to the UC BOI. Focusing on organizational culture and strategies, the BLF exposes business leaders to UCSD-specific issues and facilitates exchange between business leaders and central business management.
- The Management Skills Assessment Program (MSAP) is a university-wide management development program designed to assess and improve on-the-job performance and to enhance competitiveness for management positions. Eligible employees can participate either as an assessee or an assessor.
- Laboratory Technical Training Program
- Sharecase is a showcase of technology solutions for UCSD’s administrative challenges.
- New Employee Orientation gives an overview of UCSD’s structure through presentations from various campus departments. It occurs several times a year, and new employees should automatically receive a letter of invitation.
Note: this page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/trainingprograms
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective
bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff
Members (PPSM) or applicable collective bargaining
agreement for full text of referenced information.